Sabudana vada is a delicious crisp deep fried popular snack from Maharashtra. It is made with sago/tapioca pearls or sabudana. Traditionally, sabudana vada recipe is made using deep frying technique, but you can always make Sabudana vada in air fryer or baked sabudana vada using this recipe.
Generally, I do not cook many recipes that are deep fried or made with a lot of sugar. But when temptation becomes too much, or during the festive season my motto is to give in to the craving. I feel it works better for me to satisfy the craving with portioned serving of the particular food. Otherwise invariably I end up eating substitute plus the thing I was originally craving for.
There are times when you crave for crispy, savoury and indulgent to go with a hot cup of masala tea. Most of the time my effort is to serve healthy snacks like egg sandwich, Curd andCheese sandwich, homemade snacks. There are times when you need crispy golden fried hot snack, this sabudana vada recipe is for those times :). I often make Air fried Sabudana vada for breakfast or evening tea and sometimes make a meal of it with some salad.
As I was saying earlier, that when craving strikes I sometimes give in, but not to the extent when one really loose track of the portion size. Most of the times we try to make a meal of such dishes. That way I can balance it with some salad on the side .
Last weekend I made a big bowl of grilled Mexican salad to go with this crispy Air Fried Sabudana vada for the brunch. This is my way of eating this with lesser guilt ( in fact almost no guilt) as the main component still remains salads.
Tips for How to Make Crisp and Tastier Sabudana Vada
- Actually the recipe of sabudana vada is really very simple, but just make sure to use good quality sabudana or sago pearls here.
- Soaking time and how you soak sabudana also matter as far as final texture of sabudana vada is concerned. If sago/sabudana is not soaked and is too watery the resulting vada will be soggy too.
- Soak the sabudana /sago pearls in ample amount of water for 10 minutes. Discard the water and keep the sabudana aside for next 40 minutes. This way there is no extra water and resulting vada will be perfectly crispy outside and pillowy soft inside.
- Serve the vada with Indian staple chat sauces 1.) Sweet tamarind chutney 2.) Green Pudina and Dhania chutney to make it more delectable.
Sabudana Vada Recipe Video in Hindi
This is Sabudana Vada recipe that is traditionally made is Maharashtra and this is also suitable for Fasting as farali recipe.
- 200 g potato Boiled and mashed
- 150 g cup Sago tapioca pearls pearls
- 50 g peanuts Roasted
- tsp ½salt
- 3-4 Tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves
- 2-3 green chilli chopped
- Oil deep Frying
Mix all the ingredients except oil and divide into 12 portions.
Make a ball with single portion and flatten it in palm of your hand in the shape of a Pattie.
Likewise shape all the balls into patties.
Heat oil in a pan till smoking point.
Add Sabudana vada in the hot oil and reduce the heat to medium.
When they are golden brown from one side flip them over and cook on the other side.
Likewise deep fry all the vada and serve with green chutney and enjoy the crispy vada as delicious tea time snack.