Sindhi Kadhi is a delicious and healthy recipe from Sindhi cuisine.
Vegetarian curries are staples and every day affair in most of Indian homes. As my blog name suggests I am a great fan of curries and cook curries from various regions. Most of my curries have Punjabi influence as this is the food that I grew up eating, so food that resembles Punjabi food naturally is loved at our home. And there is marked similarity in Punjabi cuisine, Multani cuisine and Sindhi cuisine. Sindhi kadhi with chawal is one of most popular Sindhi curry recipe.
Though I am no expert on Sindhi cuisine, most of the flavours resemble the food that my mom cooks, and the way my grand-mom used to cook. I love the way it is cooked, some basic and subtle spices and a whole lot of fresh vegetables and yet final dish is so delicious that you just do not want to stop eating.
Sindhi Kadhi is a nutritious and tasty dish which is generally prepared in most of the sindhi homes. Recently at a sindhi friend's home she prepared this sindhi curry, which I absolutely loved. I then asked her the recipe for this colorful and deliciously tangy and spicy kadhi recipe. I did one modification though, instead of using tamarind pulp I used kokum to add sour flavor; that's why resulting curry is bit dark in color. If you use tamarind water, base of curry is towards yellow side.
More than taste what I love is aroma when you roast dry fenugreek seeds with chickpeas flour in the ghee, whole house comes alive with the delicious aroma of fragrant spices.
Sindhi Kadhi Recipe Notes
When roasting cumin and fenugreek seeds , make sure to keep the heat to lowest and roast them till chickpeas flour turns very slightly brown , this is very important because bit more roasting and besan is browned whole taste of dish changes.
I have used vegetables that were available, you can use your own favorites veggies for making it.
In authentic Sindhi kadhi recipe you add deep fried okra(bhindi) and lotus stem (bhee) which I skipped as I wanted to keep it lower in fat.
- If you want to make original and authentic version you can fry few pieces of okra and lotus stem and add them after completely cooking the kadhi. Just before adding coriander.
Tastes best when served over a bed of long grained Basmati rice with a side of papad and pickle. But pickle with tangy curry ? For me Yes tangier the better
How to Make Sindhi Kadhi (Video Recipe)
- ½ cup potato peeled and cubed
- ½ cup carrot cubes
- ½ cup brinjal slit into 4 vertically
- ½ cup Drum sticks
- ½ cup tomatoes grated
- ½ tsp cumin seeds jeera
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds methi
- 8-9 curry leaves kadi patta
- 4 tbsp besan Bengal gram flour
- 2 green chillies slit
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tsp chili powder red
- 3-4 tablespoon Tamarind pulp
- 2 tbsp Ghee /Oil
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. When these seeds start to crackle add one pinch of asafoetida.
- Immediately after this lower the heat and add Besan (Bengal gram flour) and roast on slow heat for 4 to 5 minutes till it is golden brown and raw smell is gone.
- Add ginger and green chillies saute for 1 minute.
- Add salt to taste, red chili powder, turmeric powder and water bring to a boil. Add grated tomatoes.
- While your kadhi is simmering you can chop all the vegetables into medium sized chunks.
- After chopping add these vegetables to the pressure cooker and cook for two whistles.
- After cooling down the pressure cooker open the lid and add tamarind pulp mix and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve the sindhi kadhi hot with steamed rice .