South Indian style masala egg curry which is spicy and vibrant in terms of flavors. Hot egg masala curry with rice, paratha or bread is definitely my idea of a heavenly meal.
Punjabi egg curry is a norm at our home, but I often try out different variations of egg curry. Combine the eggs with few other spices and ingredients, it becomes a hearty and healthy meal.
Now that you know about my love this masala curry! Let me take you through the process of how I cook this South Indian style Masala egg curry.When I want to make a wholesome meal or a dinner in hurry eggs are my favorite ingredients. That is why there are many variations of egg curry recipes on my blog.
I have 8-9 egg curry recipes from different regions and cuisines. Kolhapuri egg curry, Punjabi Egg Masala curry, Srilankan Coconut egg curry, Kerala Mutta Curry, Kerala Mutta Roast, Mumbai Street Style Egg Masala curry, Bengali Style Egg Curry.
Mutta Curry and egg Roast from Kerala, Eggs in coconut gravy from Sri Lanka (a great deal of South Indian Influence). I love how the taste of South Indian egg curries are different from North Indian egg curries.
Coconut is a prominent flavor in the egg curry from the South Indian cuisine. Also, unlike North India, the egg curry is mostly served for the breakfast in South India. Piping hot Idiyappam or Malabar parrota with Kerala egg curry!
The curry tastes best with the rice, and usually, I serve it with rice. This time I served with bread and it tasted even better because bread soaks the gravy better than rice.
Andhra style egg curry I make is slightly high on heat. Tang from the tamarind, sweetness from coconut milk and flavor of spices! It is a really good egg curry. Also, if too much coconut flavor is not your thing, totally make this.
I have used very less coconut in this egg masala curry. I have also chopped the eggs, this way eggs soak up more flavor from spices in the gravy. Also to chop up hard boiled eggs, one precaution you must take is boil them in a way that Yolk does not crumble. Here’s a video -How to hard boil the eggs perfectly
If you love eggs and a good curry, you should give this a try. Do let me know how it turned out, and if you like it Do share the recipe with your friends and family.
South Indian Style Chopped Egg masala Curry
- 4 Eggs hard boiled peeled and chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 75 g onion finely chopped
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 100 g Tomatoes chopped
- 1 ginger grated
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- teaspoon ½turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon Red chilli powder use less if you want less spicy
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 50 ml coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves allow them to splutter and add grated ginger. Stir it up.
- Add chopped onion and green chillis and cook them till they start to turn light pink.
- Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, salt, red chili powder and cook for 7-8 minutes. Stir in between.
- Now add coriander powder and tamarind paste as well. Combine it well and bring everything to a rolling boil.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the coconut milk. Cook for few minutes and add boiled and chopped eggs.