Spanish omelette is just an English name for a traditional Spanish dish called as tortilla española, tortilla de patatas or tortilla de papas. It is an omelet made with eggs and potatoes but sometimes onion or garlic is also used.
It is served as a cold appetizer in Spain and most of the South American countries and is very different from a plain omelet or French omelet. In Spain, this often served as tapas, cut into small cubes or wedges, speared on cocktail sticks with local alcohol. This perfect picnic meal can also be had hot and for breakfast.
The method of its preparation involves thinly sliced starchy potatoes.They are then cooked in abundant olive oil that can be reused later. Some sliced onions can be added at this stage if used, stirring, at a moderate temperature until they are soft but not brown. The cooked potatoes and onions are then mixed with beaten eggs. This mixture is then returned to the pan and fried slowly on both sides.
The essential ingredients are eggs, potatoes and salt, onion or garlic is optional.The seasonings such as pepper, parsley or oregano may also be added but not necessary. Other ingredients such as green or red peppers, chorizo or other sausages, tuna, shrimp or different vegetables, may also be added, although Authentic Spanish Omelette does not have all these.
I used small size cast iron pan to cook the Spanish omelet but you can also use a simple non-stick pan if cast iron pan is not available. Using extra virgin olive oil is must if you are looking to make real Spanish omelet. Though it’s a complete healthy breakfast by itself you can also have it with the bread of your own choice. Try the recipe for this delicious Spanish omelette or tortilla de patatas.
If you like to try more Egg Recipes for the breakfast you might want to try Egg Bhurji Delhi Style, Mumbai Masala Scrambled Eggs, Indian-style Bread Omelette Sandwich, Parsi Akuri and more other egg recipes on my tasty curry, Indian Masala Cheese Omelet
Spanish Omelette Recipe - Spanish Tortilla for BreakfastPrint Pin Rate
- 4 Eggs
- 2 thinly sliced medium sized potatoes
- 1 sliced onion
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3-4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Heat 2 teaspoon of olive oil in a pan and add the sliced potatoes and onions once it is hot.
- Toss them till they are slightly brown.
- Remove the potatoes and onions and keep them aside.
- Break the eggs in a bowl and whisk them and add salt and pepper to taste.Do not overbeat the eggs.
- Quickly transfer the egg mixture into the potatoes and onion while they are still hot and mix.
- Leave this for 5 minutes and you will notice the eggs curdling a bit as they got semi cooked due to the heat of potatoes and onions.
- Now put the frying pan on heat again and add the rest of the oil.
- Add the egg, potato and onion mix and let it cook on slow heat for some time, till it is golden brown.
- Keep a close watch and once it’s cooked from one end, flip it over and let it cook on the other end too.
- Turn the heat off and let your egg cook inside for few minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve hot or cold.