Sri Lankan egg curry is spicy and simple egg curry recipe. Fired eggs are cooked in an aromatic, coconut gravy. This is best egg curry for string hoppers, appams, and Sri Lankan string hoppers, as far as I am concerned.
Sri Lankan Egg Curry is one of the most sought-after alternatives when it comes to making a quick egg dish. Undoubtedly, this Sri Lankan egg curry recipe which can come to your rescue when you are planning to cook a delicious egg dish in about 30 Minutes. The best part of making this tasty recipe of fried egg curry is using easy to find ingredients in your kitchen. Crispy fried boiled eggs taste absolutely amazing in the egg curry. I simply adore them that is the reason that I love this Bengali style Dim curry. Mustard oil and crispy fried eggs make that a complete delight.
A few spices are all you need to get the right peppery taste for your Sri Lankan Egg Curry. If you do not have Sri Lankan curry powder you can easily prepare it using the recipe given in recipe notes below the recipe. There are many variations of coconut milk egg curry recipes, for example, this Kerala egg curry which is quite similar to this Sri Lankan style egg curry.
In authentic Sri Lankan Egg curry recipe by Peter Kuruvita, he uses fresh Pandarus leaves. Thes leaves are not easily available sometimes. So, I added dried Pandarus leaves in Sri Lankan curry powder recipe. Given a choice I use fresh herbs, but if fresh is not available I use dried ones.
If like me you are not a great fan of hard to cook dishes or curries that require forever to cook, this quick egg curry recipe with coconut milk is quite a delicious addition to your recipe collection. Although not as quick as my 20 Minutes Curry in Hurry Recipe Series but you can easily cook in under 30 Minutes.
If you love eggs or egg curries you may like to try few other awesome egg curry recipes.
Mumbai Street Style Egg Curry, Punjabi Egg Masala Curry Recipe, Egg Dum Biryani, Saag Anda Curry , Indian Spicy Egg Bhurji Delhi Style, Kerala Style Egg Curry with Coconut milk, Kerala style Egg Roast, Spicy Kolhapuri Egg Curry
Additional Tips For Making Sri Lankan Fried Egg Curry
• In original Sri Lankan Egg curry recipe they use whole boiled eggs. But if you cut eggs into half and then fry it that is alright too.
• I always make sure to stir it well to release the flavors properly.
• Fish flakes and pandarus leaves can render unique taste to your Sri Lankan egg curry. But if you do not eat fish you can easily skip that.
Sri Lankan Curry is served with Appams and string hoppers, you can also serve this fried egg curry with Rice and Roti. If you are an egg lover and love to try out egg curries you must try to cook this delicious Sri Lankan egg curry a try, you will not be disappointed for sure.
Sri Lankan Fried Egg Curry Recipe Video in Hindi
- 4 Eggs boiled
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 3-4 Red chillies dried
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- ½ Tsp garlic paste optional
- ½ cup Tomatoes chopped
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Sri Lankan Curry powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- coriander leaves
- Take a shallow thick bottomed pan and heat oil in the pan.
- Pierce the eggs so they do not burst when you are shallow frying them.
- Shallow fry the eggs in the pan so that they are golden brown from outside and the skin turns crispy.
- Take out the eggs and keep the aside. In the same pan add mustard seeds, curry leaves and whole red chillies broken into few pieces.
- Add chopped onions and lightly fry them.
- Add all spice powders, red chilli powder, Sri Lankan curry powder, turmeric powder, fennel powder and salt to the pan and cook everything for 1 minute.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cook everything so that tomatoes are well cooked and pulpy.
- Add coconut milk and stir well. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil and add fried eggs to the curry. Add water if you think curry is too thick for your personal preference.
- Reduce the heat and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Serve it in a dish and garnish with fresh finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Sri Lankan Egg curry goes best with Rice, appams and iddyappams or Sri Lankan string hoppers.
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds.
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds.
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds.
- 1 small cinnamon stick, broken into small pieces.
- 6 cardamom pods.
- 6 cloves.
- 6 dried curry leaves.
- 4-5 dried pandarus leaves