Sabudana vada is a delicious crisp snack from Maharashtra. Made from sabudana or Sago pearls and potatoes, sabudana vada is fasting/vrat recipe too. Another Sabudana recipes that we love during fasting are Sabudana khichdi and Sabudana kheer. Traditionally, sabudana vada recipe is deep-fried, but you can always make Sabudana vada in air fryer using this same recipe.
Sabudana is extensively used in fasting recipes in India. All of these fasting sabudana recipes are no onion no garlic recipes. Sabudana vada, sabudana khichdi, Sabudana kheer, Sabudana Thalipeeth etc are some most popular recipes. Other than these sabudana namkeen and sabudana papad is also quite popular during Navratri fasting. Most of these recipes are deep fried though 🙂 This is traditional Maharashtrian Sabudana Vada recipe for Fasting as farali recipe.
Generally, I do not cook many deep fried recipes or recipes with too much sugar. But when temptation becomes too much, or during the festive season my motto is to give in to the craving. I feel it works better for me to satisfy the craving with portioned serving of the particular food. Otherwise invariably I end up eating substitute plus the thing I was originally craving for.
There are times when you crave for crispy, savoury and indulgent to go with a hot cup of masala tea. Most of the time my effort is to serve healthy snacks like egg sandwich, Curd andCheese sandwich, homemade snacks. There are times when you need crispy golden fried hot snack, this sabudana vada recipe is for those times :). I often make Air fried Sabudana vada for breakfast or evening tea and sometimes make a meal of it with some salad.
As I was saying earlier, that when craving strikes I sometimes give in, but not to the extent when one really loose track of the portion size. Most of the times we try to make a meal of these deep fried sabudana vada. That way I can balance it with some salad on the side.
Last weekend I made a big bowl of grilled Mexican salad to go with this crispy Air Fried Sabudana vada for the brunch. This is my way of eating this with lesser guilt ( in fact almost no guilt) as the main component still remains salads.
Tips for How to Make Best Sabudana Vada
- Actually the sabudana vada recipe is really very simple, but just make sure to use good quality sabudana or sago pearls here.
- Soaking time and how you soak sabudana also matter. How well you soak sabudana and how is well water is drained from sabudana also matters in final texture of sabudana vada.
- If sago/sabudana is not soaked and is too watery the resulting vada will be soggy too..
- Serve the vada with Indian staple chat sauces 1.) Sweet tamarind chutney 2.) Green Pudina and Dhania chutney to make it more delectable.
- Soak the sabudana /sago pearls in ample amount of water for 10 minutes. Discard the water and keep the sabudana aside for next 40 minutes. This way there is no extra water and resulting vada will be perfectly crispy outside and pillowy soft inside.
Sabudana Vada Recipe in Hindi
Sabudana vada is soft inside and crisp out side Indian snack or Teatime snack. No onion no garlic fasting Sabudana vada recipe. Sabudana is perfect for fasting
- 200 g potato Boiled and mashed
- 150 g cup Sago tapioca pearls pearls
- 50 g peanuts Roasted
- tsp ½salt
- 3-4 Tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves
- 2-3 green chilli chopped
- Oil deep Frying
Mix all the ingredients except oil and divide into 12 portions.
Make a ball with single portion and flatten it in palm of your hand in the shape of a Pattie.
Likewise shape all the balls into patties.
Heat oil in a pan till smoking point.
Add Sabudana vada in the hot oil and reduce the heat to medium.
When they are golden brown from one side flip them over and cook on the other side.
Likewise deep fry all the vada and serve with green chutney and enjoy the crispy vada as delicious tea time snack.