Tawa masala mushroom or Mushroom Tawa masala is spicy semi-dry curry. In this delicious mushroom curry, button mushrooms are cooked on a tawa in a spicy tomato and onion masala which is very flavourful due to the addition of aromatic masalas.
The tawa mushrooms masala recipe is one of the quick recipes from my 20 Minutes recipes. You know already that while I love cooking I do love to spend my time to travel, to read, and do so many other things. After a long day of work, I need the recipes that are quick to make and are flavourful at the same time. But most 20 Minutes recipes are possible because I always meal plan and prep the food in advance once in a week. You can check Indian Meal Plans.
Difference Between Tawa cooking and Normal Pan Cooking
As the name suggests the tawa masala mushrooms are cooked on tawa or griddle. Tawa cooking is slightly different from the pan cooking in terms of texture of the food and taste of the food. In deep pan cooking the sides of the pan trap the moisture within the food and outside the food, it is not caramelized and remains soft.
However in Tawa fry or shallow fry, more surface of food comes into air contact and evaporation happens. Due to this evaporation food caramelizes faster. So taw dishes are more or less semi-dry to dry in terms of consistency and most often cooked on high heat.
Coming back to tawa mushroom, these days instead of cooking them on Tawa I prefer to cook them in a shallow pan which gives same results. Because cooking curry on tawa can sometimes become messy in a home kitchen, and one thing I hate is a mess on my countertop. it’s really your choice you can cook it on tawa or big shallow pan where you can control spills and splatters.
The consistency of gravy can be adjusted as per personal preferences. You can make tawa mushroom dry or semi-dry. Dry is usually served as snack or appetizer with drinks. Semi-dry tawa mushroom masala is served with Roti/ chapati or paratha.
It tastes good with Pav because it is a spicy dish and uses many aromatic spices like cumin, coriander, and Pav bhaji masala.
More Recipes Like This
If you like mushrooms you may like to try other mushroom dishes like
If you like this recipe Please leave us a star rating and leave us your comments below in the recipe card. You can follow me on Pinterest and Instagram for latest updates.
You can Subscribe to Our WhatsApp Recipe broadcast for Free by saving “mytastycurry” in your contact list and sending Subscribe on 91-8368756817
- 400 g button mushroom
- 100 g onion finely chopped
- 50 g Bell Peppers finely chopped
- 200 g tomato finely chopped
- 2 green chilli finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon pav bhaji masala
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- coriander leaves
- 1tsp grated ginger
- Heat Butter in a thick bottom pan or Tawa.
- Add chopped Onion, grated ginger and chopped green chilli in the pan and saute on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped capsicum and suate for 2-3minutes.
- Add Tomatoes and salt cook for 4-5 minutes and mash with a potato masher.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, pao bhaji masala and saute for few minutes, till baby corn becomes tender. Add 2-3 tablespoon of water in between as and when required to keep the masala wet.
- Add chopped and cleaned mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes over high heat while stirring them all the time.
- Serve it hot and garnish with fresh coriander leaves and lemon juice.