Punjabi style Tinda ki sabji recipe Punjabi curry made with Tinda. Tinda in English is known as apple gourd. A perfectly spiced and light Indian curry recipe. This curry known as dahi wale tinde ki sabji, tinda vegetable is cooked in a yogurt gravy with minimal spices.
What is Tinda
Tinda in English is known as apple gourd. It is around gourd and is a summer vegetable. Rich in vitamin C, riboflavin, Niacin and many other nutrients Tinda is a healthy option for making curry or sabji. But as much as healthy it is, there are almost equal tinda haters in every family as much as tinda lovers are.
What makes this Dahi wale tinde ki sabji special is achari masala along with finely chopped Aam ka achar mango pickle that lends a beautiful earthy flavour to this tinda curry.
The gravy base is made with onion and tomato masala along with dahi. The gravy of tinda vegetable is surprisingly light but looks creamy and is quite flavourful with spice powders.
Why We Love This Tinda sabji in Gravy?
I know there are more tinda haters than tinda lovers. If there are tinda sabji haters in your home too try to cook this recipe. This tinda gravy dish is quite tasty. Let’s say it is tasty enough that I saw a tinda hater in the family to enjoy this curry with his favourite paratha.
The tanginess of mango pickle adds an achari flavour to tinde ki sabzi. If you are using a tender and fresh small size tinda the curry is ready very quickly as tinda cooks really fast. So just change the cooking time by few minutes if the tinda you are using is not that fresh or slightly big sized.
It is a quick cooking curry, you can practically make it in 20 minutes if you are a reasonably OK cook and maximum 30 minutes even if you are a beginner. Any which way it takes 10 minutes of actual time to cook rest is passive time.
YYou can serve Dahi wale tinde ki sabji with Namak Ajwain ka paratha, Phulka or steamed rice. Accompaniments like Beetroot Raita or Boondi Raita and salad are also good to have with this meal.
More Such Recipes
Other recipes from Curry in a Hurry Series are Makhmali Paneer ki Sabzi, Papad ki sabzi , Aloo Shimla Mirch ki Sabzi , Rajasthani Sev Tamatar ki Sabzi
Dahi Wali Tinda ki Sabji (Hindi)
HAVE YOU TRIED DAHI WALE TINDE RECIPE?
If you cook this recipe of Dahi wale tinde and find it helpful, please do share it on your facebook, twitter or pin it on Pinterest this may help others too. This keeps me motivated to write more and share more of my recipes with you all.
Click a pic and post it with hashtag #MyTastyCurry — I love to see your recipes on Instagram, Facebook, & Twitter!
Tinde Ki Sabji - Dahi Wale Tinde ki sabji- Tinda Recipe
- 400 g Tinda (apple gourd choose tender small ones)
- 75 g chopped onion
- 150 g tomato puree fresh tomatoes
- 1-2 green chili finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 tablespoon yogurt dahi
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 pinch Hing asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 tablespoon Aam ka achar chopped
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and hing/asafoetida, allow it to pop and add grated ginger and green chili.
- Now add finely chopped onion and cook till the onion turn translucent.
- Add fresh tomato puree and cook it for 4-5 minutes.
- After this add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and mix well.
- Add 2-3 tablespoon of fresh dahi/yogurt and cook on medium heat till masala starts to leave sides of the pan.
- Season with salt to taste and add cut tinda, stir to coat it with dahi wale masala and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add 1.5cup of water and mix everything well.
- Cover and cook for 12-13 minutes on medium heat.
- Switch off the heat and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve Dahi wale tinda ki sabji hot with chapati paratha or rice.
It would be nice if the measures are provided in cups, tbsp, or tsp. 150g of tomato purée and 400 g of Tinda . I don’t have a scale to weigh this out.
You have not advised when to add aam ka achar in the recipe