Best fudge brownie recipe with perfect crackle top. Making gooey chocolate brownie that is easy and tasty is super simple with this easy homemade brownies recipe.
If I may say, with this chocolate chip brownies, even a beginner will know how to make brownies. And did you know all it takes is one simple action to make the best crinkle/ crackle top brownie.
The other day when I shared the brownie picture I was baking with Arush many of you asked for an easy no-fail brownie recipe that is fudgy, gooey, melt in the mouth, and has a perfect crackle top. And on top of that, even a beginner can bake them. So here is the recipe for this easy dark chocolate brownie recipe with all the steps and video.
If you find a step that I have mentioned in two different ways then you can choose whatever suits you best. Through years I have found various tips in cooking that I like to share. Like in this chocolate brownie recipe, I have melted chocolate and butter in the microwave. But you can do that using the traditional method of using a double boiler if you do not want to use a microwave.
Which is the Best chocolate for Brownies
Choosing the right chocolate is important when making chocolate brownies. Dark chocolate makes the brownie thick, fudgy and gooey with a rich chocolaty flavor throughout. To make this chocolate chip brownie I have used 90% dark chocolate. If you like your chocolate brownie to have a milky flavor then you can use Guittard milk chocolate chips or Nestle Milk chocolate chips as well. You can also use semi-sweet chocolate.
There are a lot of variations to dark chocolate brownie recipes. But, this recipe is a classic chocolate brownie recipe. You can even add nuts like walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts in the brownies.
I am a fan of crackle top or crinkled brownies. With a few trials, I have found how to make the perfect crinkle top in your brownie. But before that, let me talk about all the ingredients for making these easy homemade brownies.
Chocolate Brownie Ingredients
- Chocolate- Dark chocolate chips or Bar, if you prefer semi-sweet you can use that instead.
- Salted butter
- granulated sugar,
- vanilla extract
- Coffee powder - You can use instant coffee granules or espresso powder. I have used espresso powder
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking powder
All these ingredients are a must to make chocolate brownies just as the ones I made in this picture.
Step by Step Video
To follow the recipe correctly and see all the texture at various stages of the brownie recipe correctly please watch video below. Watching video helps especially when you are a beginner in baking.
Step by Step Method with pictures
Read before starting
To make fudgy, chocolaty brownies that have a crackly top whisk the eggs really well. You can use a spoon or fork to whisk the eggs.
If you are using a Balloon whisk, try to use the ones that have a thin wire. When whisking the eggs, use one hand to hold onto the bowl and the other hand to hold the whisk firmly.
Make circular motions and rotate the whisk around the bowl to whisk the eggs perfectly. You can even occasionally lift the whisk to incorporate air into the bowl.
You can melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler. If you do not want to use a microwave.
Start with a big bowl. The big bowl will help to mix everything easily without spilling the ingredients out.
Cut the chocolate bar with a knife and add 150grams it in the bowl. Now, pour melted butter on top of the chocolate. Microwave both to melt the chocolate.
In melted chocolate add sugar, vanilla extract, and instant coffee/espresso powder.
Mix everything together till a smooth mix is formed.
In another bowl whisk the eggs and when they are bubbly keep them aside.
Add the whisked egg in the chocolate mix. Mix the eggs and chocolate mix well and then add cocoa powder, all-purpose flour, and the baking powder. With circular motions, evenly mix all the ingredients.
Add the remaining chocolate chips and mix them well.
Spread parchment paper in the baking pan or glass sheet and evenly spread the chocolate mixture on it. With the spoon spread the mixture in the pan.
Preheat the oven at 170C or 340F for 3 minutes.
Keep the dish in the oven. Bake the brownies for 28-20 minutes or until the top is set and are crackly.
Tip to make Crackle Top Brownie
My secret to getting the crackle top on brownies is by whisking the eggs till they become slightly frothy. But Never whisk them like regular cake to make fluffy egg whites.
And then mixing them in chocolate brownie batter. Just enough mixing to mix the batter nicely we do not want to incorporate too much air.
This single step will help to develop that crinkly top. And if you do not overmix the resulting brownies will be gooey and fudgy both.
Air bubbles in the eggs are the reason that causes the brownies to crack on top. When we take out the brownie from the microwave, the air bubbles are large, and as they cool the air bubbles created start to shrink. This gives the brownie a beautiful crackle top every time.
Recipe Notes and Tips
Keep in mind the following points to make best homemade chocolate Brownies
- Use room temperature eggs. Keep the eggs out of the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to whisking them.
- Beat the eggs for a good minute or two. You can use a whisk if you like.
- Add the measurement of the flour correctly. Use a scale to measure the flour and add the exact quantity of flour in the chocolate brownie batter. This will bring you a step closer in making the best brownie at home.
- Line the tin or baking dish with parchment paper it helps in easy cutting and removing from dish.
- Do not over bake your brownies. Unlike cake, brownies do not have a springy center. So when the center is set and the top of your brownie begins to crack, take it out of the oven.
- Always cool down before cutting the brownies as the center is fudgy and gooyi and hot brownies can easily break.
- For extra thick brownies bake your brownies in 9*9 inch square baking dish. Then bake the brownies for 30-35 minutes.
With the tips, I have also answered frequently asked questions to make the best homemade brownie.
Should I use a metal or glass pan?
To make homemade brownies you can use any pan. For crispy edges in the brownie, use a metal pan. When using the glass pan add around 5 minutes extra of the total time, it will take you to cook a regular brownie.
For example, if the brownies take 30 minutes to bake on the metal pan it will take around 35 minutes on the glass pan.
What is the best cocoa powder to use?
I have used unsweetened cocoa powder, you can also use a high quality dutch processed cocoa powder.
How Long Will Brownies from Scratch keep for?
I have been asked this question a lot of times. If you have not cut your brownies then you can store them for up to four days in the fridge and around a month if you keep them in the freezer. Your cut brownies will last for two days when kept in the fridge. Mine won’t last a day if someone knows I have kept them there!
How To Serve Brownies?
These delicious homemade chocolate brownies are so chocolaty, fudgy, and sweet that you can have them straight out of the oven. Or enjoy it with a glass of milk.
Other Baked Desserts you can try
Best Fudgy Dark Chocolate Brownie
- ½ cup Butter
- 1 cup semi-chocolate chips
- ½ cup Granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Instant coffee granules
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Take your chocolate bar and cut it in pieces. When the chocolate is cut add ¾ of total quantity it in a big bowl.
- Now add melted butter. The hot salted butter will help to melt the chocolate.
- Next, microwave the chocolate and butter for 1 minute to melt it well. Take it out, keep mixing the chocolate with the butter until the mixture is smooth.
- In melted chocolate add ¾ cup of granulated(crushed) sugar, 1 ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract and 1 teaspoon Instant coffee granules in the chocolate bowl. Mix them well.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs and when they are slightly frothy keep them aside.
- Add the whisked egg in the chocolate mix.
- Mix the eggs and chocolate mix well and then add ¼ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, ¼ cup all-purpose flour and ½ teaspoon baking powder. With circular motions, evenly mix all the ingredients.
- When everything is combined add half of the remaining chocolate chips in the batter and mix it well.
- Preheat the oven to 170C. When you have done that, take the baking tray or a pan and line it with parchment paper and keep it aside.
- Evenly spread the brownie batter in the baking dish. With the spoon spread the mixture in the pan. Keep this baking dish/ pan in the oven.
- Bake the brownies at 170C for 25-30 minutes or until the top is set. And brownie batter is no longer jiggly. Insert a tooth pick to see that it If that comes out clean your brownie is done.Allow it to cool down before cutting.
- Take the brownies out when the top is set and you have a crackly texture. Let it cool and enjoy your crackle top brownies with milk.
Tips to Make Best Homemade Chocolate Brownies
- Do not over bake your brownies. Unlike cake, brownies do not have a springy center. So when the center is set and top of your brownie begins to crack, pull it out of the oven.
- Beat the eggs for a good minute or two.
- Add the measurement of the flour correctly. Use a scale to measure the flour to make the best brownie at home.
- If you don’t have an eight by eight-inch pan then you can use foil to create one or two walls for a small baking dish. You can line it with parchment and you can make the brownies without any fuzz.
- For extra thick brownies bake your brownies in 9*9 inch square baking dish. Bake the brownies for 30-35 minutes.