Veg pulao recipe, a delicious & wholesome one pot meal with rice, vegetables and spices. This is also known as vegetable pulao. This Indian pulao is easy to make wholesome meal for a weeknight dinner. Serve with Raita, Papad and pickle for a comforting meal!
This quick one pot meal of Indian pulao is my go to choice for a weeknight dinner or a side dish. Vegetable pulao is nutritious mix vegetables along with fluffy and fragrant rice with spices roasted in the ghee. This North Indian dish is comfort food at its best.
I have already shared Instant Pot Vegetable pulao recipe. In this post I am sharing how to make best veg pulao in Pressure cooker.
This Veg Pulao Recipe is:
- Easy simple, healthy and wholesome one pot meal.
- Gluten-free, vegetarian meal option
- Makes complete one pot dinner that can be made vegan
What Is Veg Pulao?
Pulao also called as Veg pulao, Veg pallao, and Veg pulav or Indian Pulao locally. When we are talking about of healthy and convenient Indian meals, veg pulao recipe is one of the first few that comes to mind immediately.
But we all know that even the best quality basmati rice may not taste good if you do not cook the pulao properly. I am sharing one of my easiest recipe and tricks to make the best vegetable pulao.
Ingredients for Veg Pulao
Ingredients for making pressure cooker Veg Pulao are commonly available in the home.
Rice: I use long grain basmati rice that I source yearly from a rice mill. I also use Indiagate classic basmati rice for making pulao biryani etc.
Mix Vegetables: Potatoes, carrots, peas, beans etc. You can also use cauliflower, capsicum mushrooms etc.
Oil or ghee: For cooking this pulao recipe.
Spices & Seasonings: Salt, red chilli powder, garam masala powder. Whole spices like cloves, star anise, cinnamon stick, cumin and bay leaf.
Basmati Rice, vegetables and most of these spices used in making pulao are easily available in the most of the pantries.
When I started cooking and there were not many recipes in my limited cooking repertoire, this Veg pulao in the pressure cooker was a lifesaver. It is still a perfect recipe for weeknight dinners when I do not want to cook much.
The spices used give aroma rice and vegetables bring the flavour and texture to this Pulao. You can use any vegetables available or even limit your dish to just one vegetable as per requirement, but the more the merrier. The dry spices like bay leaf, cinnamon, jeera add all the life to this finger-licking veg pulao recipe.
All it takes is 20 Minutes if you have pre-prepped vegetables in your fridge (How to prep for a week worth of meals )
Vegetable Pulao Recipe
Prepping rice for Pulao
Wash rice under running water till water runs clear. Soak the Basmati rice in water and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes drain out the water and keep aside. This is an additional step to make best pulao with long grain basmati rice if you have time, Otherwise when in hurry you can skip it.
Making Veg Pulao Recipe
Place the pressure cooker on medium heat on stovetop and add the ghee or oil.
Add all the dry whole spices, cumin/jeera, cloves, bay leaf, star anise and cook for a minute.
Now add the thinly sliced onions and saute them till light pink in color.
Add the ginger-green chilli paste and saute it for another 2 -3 minutes.
Now add all the chopped vegetables like carrots, potatoes, beans, shelled peas and saute for 3-4 minutes, mix it well.
Add the soaked rice, mix rice gently with the sautéed vegetables so the grain remains intact. Add the 2 cups water and stir.
Tip in the salt and stir again. Finally, add the coriander and mint leaves and close the lid of pressure cooker.
Cook the vegetable Pulao in pressure cooker on medium heat for 2 whistles. Release the pressure and your Pulao is ready.
Serve this delicious pulao steaming hot with raita or plain curd and papad.
Recipe Notes & Pro tips
- A good quality basmati rice is best for making veg pulao. It is better if you have cooked this rice before to know the estimate of water to be added.
- If you are using long grain aged basmati like me, I suggest the 1:2 rice to water ratio if making it in a deep pan.
- For Pressure cooker vegetable Pulao recipe, I use ¼ cup less than what I use to cook rice in the pan. For example for 1 cup of rice, I use 1 and ¾ cups of water.
- Cooking time is an important factor when you are cooking pulao in a pressure cooker. I just cook the rice for 1 whistle and allow the pressure cooker to cool down before opening it.
- To add a variation and more taste, instead of adding water you can make this pulao recipe with Coconut milk.
- The recipe of the dish is highly adaptable so you can add few more ingredients life paneer, tofu or vegetables of your choice.
Difference Between Biryani and Vegetable Pulao
Talking of biryani, let us talk about what is the difference between Veg Biryani and Vegetable Pulao. Sometimes people confuse Biryani with pulao too. Pulao is mostly a one-pot rice dish. Biryani is cooked by the layering of partially cooked basmati rice with meat or vegetables which are also partially cooked separately. Biryani is topped with Birista or fried onions, but pulao is served without fried onions.
Initially, I used to make pulao in Kadahi, which we loved. But these days I usually make vegetable pulao in a pressure cooker or Instant pot which is more convenient.
Which Rice to Use for Making Pulao?
I make this vegetable pulao recipe I prefer to use long grain basmati rice and vegetables. Some people like to use medium grain rice for making pulao, but I always prefer a pulao with long grain rice which is used in making Biryani.
What To Serve with Veg Pulao?
You can serve Veg pulao with any Raita like Beetroot raita, boondi raita, cucumber raita, or you can serve pulao with Tamatar ki Tari (Punjabi Tomato Curry)/shorba. You can also serve it alongside any dal or gravy like Veg kofta, chana masala, Malai kofta etc.
How to Store Leftover Pulao?
This is simple recipe and you can make a multiple batches together as leftover pulao stores well in refrigerator for 4-5 days easily.
You can freeze this vegetables pulao for 12 weeks in a freezer safe container And reheat in microwave when you want to serve it.
More Such Recipes
Other Pulao Recipes you may Like to try
More One Pot meal Ideas for you:
Vegetable Pulao - Pressure cooker Recipe
- 200 g basmati rice washed and soaked
- 100 g Onion medium sized sliced)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger green chilli paste
- ¼ cup Peas
- ¼ cup potato cubed
- ¼ cup french beans chopped
- ¼ cup carrot cubed
- 1 piece cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 Star anise
- 1 teaspoon jeera
- Red chilli powder as per taste
- salt as per taste
- 2 tablespoon mint leaves
- 2 teaspoon ghee
- 2 cups water
- Wash and soak the Basmati rice in water and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Put the pressure cooker on medium heat and add the ghee or oil.
- Add all the dry whole spices, cumin/jeera, cloves, bay leaf, star anise for a minute.
- Now add the thinly sliced onions and saute them till light pink in color.
- Add the ginger-green chili paste and saute it for another 2 -3 minutes.
- Add all the chopped vegetables and saute for 3-4 minutes, mix it well.
- Now drain the rice and add the soaked rice, mix them gently so the grain remains intact, mix everything and
- add the water and stir.
- Add the salt and stir again.
- Finally, add the coriander and mint leaves and close the lid of pressure cooker.
- Cook the vegetable Pulao in pressure cooker on medium heat for 2 whistles or as per the quality of your rice.
- Serve this delicious pulao steaming hot with raita or plain curd and papad.
- You can use a pressure cooker or any heavy bottom pan to cook pulao.
- Add ghee or oil as per your own preference but ghee brings in better taste.
- Add dry fruits to make it richer.