Savoury oatmeal porridge with lots of veggies, aromatic Indian spices cooked in ghee. A comforting healthy, vegan and gluten-free breakfast porridge that fills you up in a delicious way.
I am usually not an oatmeal person. I mean I do not like a warm oatmeal bowl but that does not mean that I do not like oats. Give me overnight oats or any version of savoury oatmeal. I am a happy camper.
This healthy Oatmeal recipe also known as masala oats is made with oats and wholesome veggies. It's a great breakfast option and when I am cooking for just myself this even makes a good lunch and dinner option too.
The only thing I add when I am having savoury oatmeal porridge for dinner is I add a green salad on the side.
The taste and texture of these masala oats resemble somewhat like khichdi. But this recipe is a whole lot quicker than making khichdi which is considered one of the easiest dishes to cook.
Why We Love this Savoury Oatmeal
- It is versatile. You can play with many spices and vegetable combinations and have numerous variations.
- This oats breakfast is healthy, gluten-free,
- You can be easily made vegan and dairy-free.
- This ticks all my diet requirements these days.
- You can make it in 10 minutes so it makes a filling and healthy snack too.
Ingredients for Vegetable Masala Oats
Oats: You can use Instant oats or rolled oats. Rolled oats are a better option health-wise and even diabetics can also eat them. Cooking time for rolled oats is little more than instant oats.
Vegetables: You can add any quick-cooking seasonal vegetables, like peas, grated carrots, beans, capsicum, broccoli, mushrooms etc. You can also add onions and tomatoes.
Spices, Seasonings and Herbs: A simple seasoning of salt, turmeric, and red chilli, cumin powder. I have added a special Pav bhaji masala powder which gives it a spicy pan bhaji like taste. I also add ginger, curry leaves, green chillies and fresh coriander.
Ghee: Ghee is a healthy saturated fat which makes it highly satisfying and filling. To make a vegan version you can use coconut oil which also tastes delicious and is a healthy fat. Both of these are healthy fats for gut-healthy meals.
How to make Masala Oats?
- First I saute chopped onions in ghee. Along with onions, I saute ginger, curry leaves, green chillies.
- Next add in chopped veggies like bell peppers, peas, broccoli and cook for a few minutes.
- Add spice powders, turmeric, red chilli, salt, cumin powder, pav bhaji powder and mix well.
- Now add in oats and roast along with veggies and spices.
- Garnish with some cilantro and roasted nuts.
Recipe Notes & Tips
- You can use frozen vegetables if fresh are not available.
- To make this recipe completely dairy free and vegan substitute ghee with coconut oil or peanut oil.
- Instead of quick oats you can make it with rolled oats but increase cooking time after adding oats.
You can serve these spicy veggie oats as is or with a small bowl of fresh plain yogurt. For one pot quick dinner or lunch, pair them with some leafy salad.
Storage and Reheating
You can store cooked oats porridge in the fridge for 2 days. You can store it in an airtight glass bowl and reheat it in the microwave when you want to enjoy a warm bowl of savoury masala oats.
It does not freeze and reheat so well. So I suggest avoiding freezing oatmeal. This is a quick dish to make so make it fresh and enjoyable.
More Such Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Watch Video Recipe
If you like this recipe Please leave us a star rating and leave us your comments below in the recipe card. You can follow me on Pinterest and Instagram for latest updates.
You can Subscribe to Our WhatsApp Recipe broadcast for Free by saving “mytastycurry” in your contact list and sending Subscribe on 91-8368756817