Flavourful white bean salad with black eyed beans in my signature spicy vinaigrette dressing. A variety of summer veggies, the kick from mizuna and Mediterranean inspired flavors, this is our new favorite Summer salad for lunch. One of the best bean salad ever! This is almost perfect for a picnic or packed lunch this summer.
The white bean salad is so versatile you can make it with any of your favorite beans. You can easily swap the lobia/cowpeas beans with your favorite bean for making this. Also, Mizuna leaves add a lot of flavor and crunch to the salad and I am really obsessing about them now. Of course, you know that if you are following me on Instagram :D. My another favorite salad with Mizuna Leaves in this season is Mizuna Quinoa and Egg Salad which also can be made using lobia beans. DO try that too, I am sure this summer you will love mizuna salad too.
I prefer either of the beans from white beans, soybeans or sometimes navy beans depending on availability in my pantry. All these make great white bean salad recipes. I used a Mediterranean dressing with a chilli kick This not only added a lot of flavor to summer veggies and beans but all of these make a healthy bean salad.
Now let me talk about the salad dressing, that is heart and soul of this lobia bean salad recipe. Oh My God! The salad dressing inspired from Mediterranean salad dressing is flavor bomb! Simple vinaigrette become altogether nest level when you add the right amount of spicy kick from roasted red chilli flakes, cumin, and Sumac. I have a feeling that this is going to be our favorite salad dressing all summer long. You guys! I can go on and on and on about how glorious this beautiful salad dressing is 🙂
For summer veggies I have used two varieties of cucumbers, regular cucumber and summer specials Armenian cucumber or “Tar Kakdi” as it is known locally here. This small and thinner variety of cucumber is available for very short season in India so I try to make most of it before it vanishes. These days you can find it in most of my summer salad recipes. You can totally use your favorite variety of cucumbers. As I wrote previously that mizuna leaves are our new favorite to use in salads these days so how could I have not used them here too 😀
None of my salads are complete without using nuts. Unless you have any allergies or completely averse to using nuts, you MUST add nuts to all your salads. Because nuts are healthy, good fats, a good dose of micronutrients, a layer of texture and a good source of protein. Nuts make your salad taste good and healthy. Choose your favorites and combine them as per your choice. You can read more on How to build a better salad.
A final topping of thinly sliced onions and pomegranate adds another burst of flavors and sweetness to add contrast to tangy sumac flavor and a lemony dressing.
Make Ahead tip for Making White Bean salad
If you want to make it ahead, I suggest you can combine all the ingredients mentioned under salad in a bowl. Cover the salad bowl with a kitchen towel and keep it in the refrigerator. Similarly, make the salad dressing and store the jar in the refrigerator. Pour the dressing over salad when you are ready to serve and top it with pomegranate and pine nuts.
More Summer Salad recipes that I love and You might want to try are My Favorite Quinoa Salad, Grilled Paneer Quinoa Salad
How to Pack this bean salad for Lunch
- I always prefer to pack my salads in a jar. Always pack peans and cucumbers in bottom layers follow it up with onion and finally salad leaves always on top. Pack the dressing separately.
- Always make sure to use to dry water from leaves in a good salad spinner or with a kitchen towel. This helps the salad dressing to sit better on leaves. You will have delicious tasting leaves and not lust bland leaves in your salad anymore.
If you are looking to make wholesome and delicious summer salad recipes, this white beans and veggie salad has got a great potential to become your favorite summer salad recipe. Of course, you can make your favorite variation out of these. Make lobia bean salad, soybean salad or maybe any other white bean of your choice but you must try this white bean salad at least once.
- 2 cup Boiled Black eye beans/ Lobia beans
- 2 Cups cucumbers
- 2 Cups Armenian cucumbers/ Kakdi
- 2 cups Mizuna leaves
- ¼ onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Pomegranate pearls
- 3-4 tablespoon Pine Nuts toasted
- 4 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 4 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Sumac
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon Mustard paste optional
- ½ teaspoon Cumin toasted and powdred
- Sea salt - to taste.
- In a big mixing bowl combine white beans, both types of cucumbers, sliced onions, mizuna leaves and toss them well
- In a small jar combine all the ingredients mentioned in salad dressing. Tightly close the lid and shake it well.
- Pour the dressing over the tossed salad and top it with toasted pine nuts and pomegranate seeds.