No tour at Tuscany is complete without tasting wine or taking a Tuscany wine tour in Chianti. Chianti region in Tuscany is a home to some of the delicious and prestigious labels from Vintage vineyard in Italy.
If you love wine, Tuscany is your place to experience some of the most prestigious labels and famous vintages. Chianti region of Tuscany is famous for its spell-binding landscapes, serene natural beauty and magnificent and scenic vineyards.
How to Book Chianti Wine Tour
You can book a day trip from Florence to Chianti. There are many tour operators who conduct wine tasting tours to the vineyards in Siena and chianti Classico region. You can choose between private tour (by car) or Group tour ( mini van or GT Coach). Usually, a day trip includes the visit to Monteriggioni Fortress sienna and two local wineries.
What is Chianti Classico
While I am no wine expert but being a food enthusiast and a keen learner in nuances of food and wine. This wine tour to Chianti was a great way to explore the scenic Chianti region and learn about the Chianti Classico and some facts of wine making.
Something About Chianti Wine and Chianti Classico Lable
- Chianti region extends from the Tuscan provinces of Florence and Siena and from east to west Valdarno and Val d’Elsa. When you start to read wine labels you will often see “Florentine Chianti” and the “Sienese Chianti”. This basically tells you about the wine from areas closest to either Florence or Siena, but both of these wines are included in wines from Chianti region.
- Chianti wine region is vast but Only Chianti from chianti Classico area located between Siena and Florence produces Chianti Classico. And, put a black rooster seal ( Gallo Nero) on the neck of the bottle. The black rooster seals indicate that the wine producer is a member of the Chianti Classico Consortium, Consorzio del Vino Chianti Classico.
- A wine can be only named Chianti Classico when it is made with at least 80% Sangiovese grapes, and rest Canaiolo grapes or any other approved red grape variety cabernet sauvignon, Merlot etc.
- Chianti Classico is considered a premium Chianti wines and has a full body with firm tannins and range from medium to high in terms of acidity level.
- Our Wine guide, guided us to taste cheery and light notes and how to taste various notes from mid palate to the front of the mouth.
- Minimum Alcohol level for a wine to be called Chianti Classico is 12% and it should be aged for at least 7 months in Oak.
- For a Chianti Classico to be labeled as riserva it should be aged in Oak for minimum two years and 3 months in a bottle.
Wine Tasting in Chianti Tuscany
Wine tasting is the most popular tourist activity and the claim to fame of Chianti region. Chianti is a vast area in Tuscany while the expression Chianti Classico represents the most genuine area of the region that is home to Chianti Classico wine.
Out of the Chianti wines, the most illustrious one is the Chianti Classico and its produce is exclusive to certain towns of Tuscany. Chianti region is characterized by a particular Tuscan landscape and its essence lies in the ancient winemaking tradition which is customized according to specific rules.
It is the world’s best known, appreciated and exported wine from the villages of Tuscany. The region together is also known as Chianti Classico which happens to be the oldest and traditional viticultural area of Tuscany.
A wine tour is a must if you are visiting Tuscany. Visit the wineries and vineyards of Chianti for an excellent wine tasting experience. Indulge in a delightful, starlit dinner inside the vineyards and live an experience of the senses in the ancient farmer’s tradition.
Soak in the magic of the Tuscan landscape, the aroma of the countryside while tasting the local delicacies made of fresh, local produce along with a glass of Chianti Classico wine.
You could have an exquisite meal at a famous restaurant or rather enjoy a barbecue of meat and seasonal vegetables from the farm along with the fragrance of grapevines. Immerse yourself in a rural yet elegant dining experience and take back an enriching tale of a soulful night.
Last time around we took this day tour to this famous Tuscany wine region because we went in peak season and everything was overbook. But next time around I am making sure that we book much in advance so that we stay there and experience the Tuscan vineyard life little more intimately with few more days at hand. Till then I am going to savor these memories and learning we collected during this Tuscany Wine Tour to Chianti.