For Making Usal
- 1 cup Moth beans Sprouts and steamed
- 200 grams potato
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala goda masala
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 5-6 curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- pinch Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon
- 1 cardamom
- 1 teaspoon black pepper whole
- 1 large Onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 Tomatoes inely chopped
- 2 tablespoon grated Dry coconut
- 1.5 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon kala masala or pav bhaji masala if you don’t have kala masala
- Salt to taste
To Serve Misal Pav
- 3-4 tablespoon Mixed Farsan
- 6 Pav Buns
- 2-3 tablespoon onion finely chopped
- 4 tablespoon chopped Coriander leaves
- 1 lemon cut into small wedges
- 2-3 tablespoon Tomatoes chopped
Take sprouted moth beans or matki and cook in a pressure cooker along with salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder for two whistle.
Now heat 1 tablespoon oil in a tadka pan and add curry leaves, mustard seeds and pinch of asafoetida, switch off the heat add ¼ teaspoon garam masala or goda masala to it and pour it over cooked matki. Usal is ready.
To Make Rassa / Kat
Dry roast 2 tablespoon coriander seeds, black pepper, 5-6 cloves, 1 small cardamom, I inch pc of cinnamon and roast them till fragrant Next add grated dry coconut and roast it till light brown. When it is light brown add chopped onion and cook till onion become soft.
Then add 1 medium sized chopped tomato and cook till this also softens up.
Allow the mixture to cool down and blend it in a fine paste.
Heat 1 tablespoon Oil in a pan, add blended paste and add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, kala masala/pav bhaji masala and salt to your taste. Cook for 2 more minutes.
Add 1.5 cups of water and cook for 6-7 minutes on medium low heat
Finish the kat with chopped coriander leaves and use it to top the usal.
To Serve Misal pav
Slit the Pav buns and apply some butter as per your liking and warm them over tava, just take care not to overcook them.
Now in a bowl first add layer of Usal (moth bean preparation , add second layer of kat and top it with chopped onion, coriander leaves and farsan.
Scoop up the misal with soft buttered pav and enjoy !
- If you don't have matki or moth at home you can use moong beans.
- If you like more butter just like street style recipe you can go ahead and use more.
Calories: 233kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 70mg | Potassium: 637mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 792IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 5mg