For Homemade Rasam Powder
- 1 tablespoon Urad dal skinless, split
- 8 Whole peppercorns
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds methi,
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 Whole Red Chilli
- Salt to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon Asafoetida
- ⅕ teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 Tomatoes medium
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1.5 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 inch Ginger
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoon Coriander
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
To Make Rasam Powder
Dry Roast together urad dal, coriander seeds, peppercorns, fenugreek seeds, whole red chilli, Asafoetida for a few minutes on slow heat.
Allow it to cool slightly and grind to make homemade rasam powder. This amount of rasam powder is enough to make this quantity of rasam for 2 times.
To make Tomato Rasam
Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a pan. Temper the ghee with mustard seeds, curry leaves and cumin seeds.
Add both types of tomatoes. I add chopped tomatoes but if the skin of tomatoes bothers you you can use grated tomatoes or puree them.
Now add salt to taste and a pinch of turmeric powder.
Add grated ginger/garlic or both.
Cover and cook for a few minutes till tomatoes are cooked through.
Add half of the freshly ground spice powder and mix.
Add 3 cups of water and bring it to boil.
Cover and allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes and freshly homemade tomato rasam is ready to enjoy.
- Use the spices in moderation and the main flavour comes from pepper you can adjust that as per spice level you prefer.
- The amount of pepper I added makes it medium spicy.
- Traditionally cherry tomatoes are not added but I always add them because it adds another layer of tangy taste. You can use them or skip as per your choice.
- I added bedayagi chilli in rasam powder if you like less spicy use Kashmiri chilli.
- The USP of this rasam recipe is freshness. Try and make fresh rasam powder in small batches so it adds tons to spicy taste.
- While using Asafoetida use just a pinch not more than that because it can easily overpower other spices.
Calories: 94kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 269mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 635IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2mg