With winters already knocking up on the door, all of us need winter soup recipes which do not take loads of your time but the tasty soup recipes that are simple and easy to cook and pack tons of flavor. Roasted Broccoli cheese soup is one of those healthy winter soups that creamy and flavourful. Just perfect soup recipe to make you warm from inside out this winter.
Roasted broccoli cheese soup might not look as green as the regular broccoli soup looks, but I can guarantee you that this one packs a good punch of flavors and is creamy without that extra blob of cream (in fact no cream here at all). The best thing it takes just 30 minutes in total and 10 minutes of active cooking. Sold on? Let's talk about this super delicious roasted broccoli cheese soup recipe.
Roasting broccoli or any other veggie brings out the depth of flavor, so whenever I am making soups and have little extra time at hand I go for roasted vegetable soup rather than blanching or boiling. you can even use the soft part of broccoli stalks in this soup. If you like to add more flavors Go on and add vegetable stock for extra bold flavors.
But in this soup, I used plain water because I wanted the flavor of za’atar to shine through. Yes, Za’atar again because I can’t really get enough of this wonderful spice from Middle Eastern cuisine. It’s warming, it adds a great amount of flavor to any dish , so this winters you are going to see a lot of recipes with Za’atar on my tasty curry 🙂
If you enjoy soups you may like, Roasted Tomato Basil soup , Cauliflower Cheddar Cheese soup, and Thai Vegetable soup.
If you cook this recipe and find it helpful please do share it on facebook, twitter or pin it on Pinterest this may help others too and keeps me motivated to write more.
So with flavourful roasted broccoli and extra layer of flavor with Za’atar and creaminess of sharp cheddar what’s no love about this Roasted broccoli cheese soup I know we are going to make this a lot 🙂
- 400 g broccoli chopped into florets
- 40 g Sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 onion medium size sliced
- 1 potato medium sized
- 2 tablespoon Za’atar
- 4 cups water
- Preheat oven to 200C
- In a medium sized bowl toss the broccoli with Za’atar, 1 tablespoon olive oil and coat it well.
- Spread the broccoli pieces on a roasting tray and keep it to bake for 15 minutes.
- In a separate pan heat up the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and add in sliced onion and potato. Toss them together to coat well. Add in salt and black pepper.
- Cook them for 10-12 minutes covered till potatoes soften, add water and broccoli now bring everything to a boil.
- Let them simmer for 5 minutes.
- Now take an immersion blender and blend everything together in the pan itself. If you don’t have hand blender just allow it to cool and blend in the blender jar of food processor/mixer grinder.
- Return the soup to pot again if you used traditional grinder, add in grated cheese and ladle out in soup bowl. Garnish it with pepita seeds/roasted pumpkin seeds if you have them.
- Tastes so good even without them too.