- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 cup Tomatoes
- ¼ cup Bell peppers chopped
- 1 teaspoon Parsley
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tablespoon parsley
- Mint leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
Make Tomato Sauce for Shakshuka
To make shakshuka sauce, first add olive oil in the pan. Add chopped onions and saute them for one minute. Do not overcook just cook enough to sweat them.
Add chopped red bell peppers. Cook these to soften them a bit. Next add in chopped tomatoes and salt. Salt helps to soften tomatoes and cook faster.
After cooking tomatoes and spices red chilli flakes and dried parsley. Add ¼ cup of water and bring it to boil.
Now there are two ways to cook shakshuka. The first, after adding eggs you can either cover the pan and cook the eggs to desired doneness.
The second, after adding eggs, move the skillet in the oven to cook the eggs.
You can cook as per your preference in traditional shakshuka recipes. Eggs are runny but you don’t like runny eggs. Cook them a little more.
Garnishing and Serving
You can garnish it in many different ways.
Add herbs like parsley or mint or both. Top it with crumbled feta which makes it even more delicious. Or drizzle with some more extra virgin olive oil like I do. To make spicy shakshuka add crushed black pepper.
- Cook tomatoes nicely in the sauce. The sauce for shakshuka is a perfect mix of chunky and creamy base.
- To add flavour you can add different ingredients. Jalapenos, harissa, green chilies as per your taste and choice.
- Use a good sized pan as per the number of servings you are using and You’ll need a lid to cover the pan while cooking eggs.
- if you are planning to put the pan in the oven make sure it is an oven safe pan like cast iron.
- Egg cooking time will change as per how you like your eggs. For runny eggs and set white, cook them on slow for 5 minutes. If you like firm yolks, cook eggs for 7-8 minutes.
Calories: 172kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 164mg | Sodium: 467mg | Potassium: 271mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1462IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1mg