- 1 cup Semolina rava/sooji
- 2 Green Chillies chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ginger chopped
- 1 Curry Leaves sprigs
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander cilantro
- ½ tsp Salt namak
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Bengal gram /chana daal
- 1 tsp Urad dal White Lentils
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- ½ cup yogurt sour curd
To Make Instant Mix
Heat oil in a pan, add asafoetida/hing, mustard seeds, Chana dal, urad dal, cumin seeds and stir fry for a minute.
Now add chopped ginger, green chili mix and stir for few seconds.
Add curry leaves and fresh coriander leaves. Cook these till these are fully dry and dehydrated.
Now add semolina/sooji and saute on low flame for 5-7 minutes. keep stirring it.
Switch off the flame and add salt.
Allow this mixture to cool down.
To Make Rava Idli Batter
Take one cup of instant Idli mix we prepared. Add curd/yogurt and mix well.
Add water and salt to make a thick batter. Keep this for 10-15 minutes.
Add some more water if it batter becomes thicker because rava absorbs a lot of water
Finally add 1 teaspoon of ENO fruit salt and mix well
To Steam Rava Idli on Stovetop
Grease the idli moulds and pour one -two tablespoon of batter in each bowl of idli moulds.
Or like me grease the idli plate place a curry leaf and a cashew half each and pour idli batter over it for that beautiful looking soft idli that you see in the image.
Place it in idli cooker and steam cook for 10 minutes.
Allow the steam to escape and then remove the idles from idli plate.
Serve these instant soft rava idlies hot with idli podi, coconut chutney and sambhar.
To Make Microwave Instant Rava Idli
To make Idli in microwave, you can make idli batter as given above. Next step, take microwave idli molds and grease the idli plates.
Add spoonful of batter in greased idli plates.
In the base plate of microwave idli stand add few tablespoons of water and place idli stand with batter in this base plate.
Cover with lid and steam on medium power for 6-7 minutes. Serve these soft pillowy microwave idlies hot with sambar and chutney.
- If you are storing mix for longer time make sure that all fresh herbs dry out completely.
- For making soft idli, after adding fruit salt, mix and immediately make idlies.
- Otherwise, add fruit salt only when you are done greasing idli plate/moulds and are ready to steam idlies.
To make Rava idli without Eno you can use ¼tsp baking soda to the mix instead of adding Eno.
- For making variations you can add finely chopped vegetables or vegetable purees instead of water.
Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 320mg | Potassium: 169mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 499IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 3mg