Jeera rice recipe to make fluffy, aromatic perfectly cooked rice recipe which is super simple. With this easy rice recipe, each grain of rice remains separated and tastes delicious. Rice with flavourful ghee tempering to pack extra flavour.
I am sure when you see this recipe many of you will wonder who needs a jeera rice recipe. Well, I needed it at one point in my life 🙂 Yes! I am that woman who at that time did not knew how to cook plain rice perfectly let alone making jeera rice. So many times I ended up burned at the bottom, mushy, sticky or dry rice during that time. That was a point when in my wildest dreams I could not see myself writing recipes of what I cook 🙂
Now I know everyone can cook rice. In my initial days of cooking, I cooked them too. But cooking perfect rice is something that I learned with patience and many clumpy rice dishes later.
Now for making perfect rice where each grain of rice is separate, many people either use boiled rice and discard the starch. Second is extra greasy or undercooked rice with too much fat.
At the risk of sounding a snob, I do not like both. Perfect jeera rice should have each long grain of rice separate and flavourful with that typical heady aroma of rice and spice. In this case a lovely aroma of cumin or jeera. It is so flavourful and delicious that you can eat it just like that or with a simple raita.
While cooking any rice recipe, I have also been taught rice to water ratio of 1:2. However, in my personal experience, I have always used slightly lesser water than double when I am cooking rice in a pressure cooker. For cooking rice in covered pan 1:2 Rice to water ratio works perfectly. Another factor which matters is n perfectly cooked grain of rice ia s variety used. Different varieties of rice absorb a different amount of water. So When you change the variety you cook observe for the first time and you will know exact rice to water ratio required for that recipe.
How to Make Jeera Rice
Making this is super simple. You can make this popular restaurant-style jeera rice in 20 Minutes with few easily available simple ingredients in the pantry of your kitchen. Ghee, whole spices and red chilli is all you need along with quality long grain Basmati rice. You can make it with other rice varieties but for best results, I suggest using aged basmati rice. My another tip to make them extra special is to add a tadka of ghee. That almost taste like ghee rice but with a prominent taste of jeera.
Now you know that how easy it is to make perfect jeera rice or jeera pulao, you may like to know how to cook perfect rice for biryani.
You can serve this jeera rice with everyday Tariwali Egg curry, Shahi paneer, Paneer butter masala, Palak paneer. Any simple Dal recipe tastes amazing when served with jeera rice tadka topped with fried onion. Try it 🙂
If you like my recipes, do share it with your friends and family. Also, like us on facebook, twitter, Instagram, and WhatsApp.Pin us on Pinterest, we would love to hear from you do leave your comments below.
You can Subscribe to Our WhatsApp Recipe broadcast for Free by messaging Subscribe on +91-8368756817
Jeera Rice- How to Make Jeera Rice
- 1 Cup Rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds /jeera
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon pepper corns
- 1 star anise
For making tempering
- 1 Teaspoon ghee
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2-3 dried red chillis
- Wash and soak the rice for 20-30 minutes. Drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat up oil in a pan. Add one tablespoon ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add bay leaf.
- Now add whole black peppercorn and star anise.
- Cook for a minute on slow heat.
- Now add washed rice and stir it gently with a spatula.
- At this stage allow the rice to stand for 1 minute to roast them lightly.
- Add salt and water and bring the heat to high and allow the water to boil.
- Now bring the heat to low and cover the pan with lid and cook for 6-7minutes.
- Now check the rice for doneness. Rice should be 95% cooked now.
- Fluff with a fork and cover again.
- Allow them to stand for 5 minutes and prepare the tempering.
- Heat one teaspoon of ghee and add ½ teaspoon jeera/cumin also add whole red chilli. Switch of the heat swirl the tempering and pour over hot rice.
- Serve them steaming hot with chana masala or Butter paneer.