Mughlai paratha is a unique paratha recipe. A speciality from Bengali cuisine this is a classic dish that is made with a variety of stuffings. You can serve this Bengali recipe as a snack or serve as lunch or dinner with your favourite curry. Bengali’s enjoy it with potato-based curries.
This recipe of Mughlai paratha is different from other stuffed parathas. Traditional Mughlai paratha is deep-fried but I make it on a pan or griddle by applying less oil than what is used in deep frying.
This paratha is also known by the name Moglai paratha in Kolkatta and Bangladesh. This paratha is stuffed with egg mixture spiced with chillies, herbs and seasoning. The end result is crispy and flaky paratha flatbread that is pan-fried using a bit of oil. It makes an extremely satisfying comfort meal!
In this recipe post, I am sharing a variety of stuffings you can use to make Mughlai paratha. Also, various substitutions and tips to make the recipe easier and manageable to cook even on a busier day.
This Mughlai Paratha is
- Unlike Most paratha recipes from North Indian Cuisine, this is a Bengali recipe.
- It is a very popular snack and street food.
- Traditionally it is deep-fried but I make it pan-fried.
- I have made it with egg stuffing.
- Ready in 20 Minutes with a shortcut that I have used.
Ingredients in Mughlai paratha
Ingredients to prepare this delicious paratha recipe
Eggs: Farm fresh eggs
Fresh Ingredients: onion, green chillies and coriander leaves
If You are making fresh Dough: whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, a pinch of baking soda, Salt, oil and water
And if you are using frozen paratha Sheets or puff pastry sheets You do not need dough ingredients.
Stuffing for Mughlai Paratha
- This Paratha is highly customizable, and you can use a variety of fillings depending on your mood and availability.
- I have made Mughlai paratha with egg stuffing but you can use a variety of stuffings for it.
- Traditional Mughlai paratha recipe has cooked and spiced minced meat stuffing coated with eggs.
- You can prepare vegetable and paneer stuffing for making Veg Mughlai Paratha.
Step by Step Recipe
First, make stuffing for Mughlai Paratha.
Break 2 eggs in a bowl. Add chopped onion, chopped capsicum, green chillies, salt, coriander leaves, chopped boiled eggs and red chilli flakes and make stuffing.
Now heat a pan or griddle onto the stove. Place one paratha sheet on it and spread half the mughlai paratha stuffing mixture on this.
Reduce the heat to the low and place another paratha sheet over it.
In 2-3 minutes when egg stuffing starts to cook, flip the paratha to cook on the other side till golden brown and crispy.
Watch Video Recipe
Recipe Notes & Pro Tips
- You can make this paratha with readymade frozen paratha sheets as I have used.
- If you can’t find the readymade paratha sheets you can use puff pastry sheets which taste more crispy and flaky.
- You can make this original paratha dough I have shared in the recipe card below, roll that out and make Mughlai paratha with that rolled out dough.
- Add baking soda if you are using homemade dough. This will give it a flaky and crispy outer layer just like puff pastry.
- You can even use a very soft tortilla in a pinch but honestly speaking that will not make a Mughlai paratha that will be more like a quesadilla.
What To Serve With Mughlai Paratha?
Traditionally in Kolkata or Calcutta, it is served as street food along with dry potato curry, tomato sauce or mustard sauce and some onions on the side.
The crispy flaky paratha is cut into pieces before serving. You can serve it with any dry sabzi or pickle. But we enjoy it with either chutney or a variety of curries like masoor dal, tomato curry or potato curry that we usually serve with pooris.
More Paratha Recipes That You Can Try
If you like this recipe Please leave us a star rating and leave us your comments below in the recipe card. You can follow me on Pinterest and Instagram for latest updates.
You can Subscribe to Our WhatsApp Recipe broadcast for Free by saving “mytastycurry” in your contact list and sending Subscribe on 91-8368756817
- Non-Stick Pan (US)
- 4 Frozen Paratha Sheets
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Eggs boiled & Chopped
- 2 green chillies
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoon onions chopped
- 4 tablespoon Capsicum/ bell peppers
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- First, make stuffing for Mughlai Paratha.
- Break 2 eggs in a bowl. Add chopped onion, chopped capsicum, green chillies, salt, coriander leaves, chopped boiled eggs and red chilli flakes and make stuffing.
- Now heat a pan or griddle onto the stove.
- Place one paratha sheet on it and spread half the mughlai paratha stuffing mixture on this.
- Reduce the heat to the low and place another paratha sheet over it.
- In 2-3 minutes when egg stuffing starts to cook, flip the paratha to cook on the other side.