Strawberry Lassi is a creamy and refreshing drink made with fresh strawberries and yogurt. This is a healthy and cooling summer drink that tastes great and super easy and quick to make.
You can make this strawberry lassi with greek yogurt or homemade curd.
I have been sharing a few variations of the Indian lassi drink. You can also think of this as a variation of a popular strawberry smoothie but a lighter and a probiotic version of the smoothie. You can enjoy it as a snack or serve it after meal dessert in the drink form.
During summertime after mango lassi and paan lassi, this strawberry lassi tops the popularity charts. You can enjoy this fruity sweet lassi during summers when these fruits are in the season.
Strawberries are healthy and nutrition-packed with many vitamins and fibre. Yogurt or curd is a great probiotic. A combination of probiotics from yogurt and prebiotics from strawberries makes it super healthy and delicious.
What Is Lassi?
Lassi is a yoghurt-based sweetened probiotic drink that has originated in the Indian subcontinent. The basic lassi is a blend of milk sugar and a few spices for the sweet lassi. There is a salty lassi version in which sugar is replaced with salt.
In early times lassi was made manually with a wooden churner in a large earthen pot. Nowadays it is made using an electric blender which makes the process easier and faster.
It is a variation of sweet lassi in which strawberries are blended along with yogurt to make this fresh fruity drink. This strawberry yogurt drink is a perfect healthy treat for breakfast or even as a snack for kids or the whole family.
Ingredients for Strawberry Lassi
- Strawberries: Fresh strawberries taste good in this recipe however if fresh strawberries are not available you can use frozen strawberries in this recipe.
- Yogurt: It is the base ingredient of the drink. You can use plain yogurt or greek yogurt or homemade curd. You can use either homemade or store bought yogurt. If you want to make a vegan version you can use vegan yogurt like cashew yogurt or almond yogurt to make this lassi vegan.
- Sweetener: I use sugar to sweeten strawberry lassi. You can use stevia or any other sugar substitute. If you like you can use natural sugars like honey, agave or maple syrup.
How To Make Strawberry Lassi?
To make Indian strawberry lassi First I cut strawberries and discard the green leafy part and stem.
After chopping I make a paste of strawberries and sugar in the blender. You can any sweeter of your choice in place of sugar.
To the pureed strawberry I add yogurt, ice cubes and a little bit of water or milk and blend it once again to make a smooth mix.
Serve this chilled strawberry lassi in a glass and garnish with a mint leaf or top with vanilla or butterscotch ice cream and enjoy this refreshing drink or dessert.
Watch Video : How to Make Lassi
Tips for Perfect Lassi
- Try to pick bright red spotless and firm strawberries. Avoid light coloured or raw.
- Store-bought yogurt has added sugars. If you are watching sugar or calories, pick either yogurt with less sugar or sugar-free yogurt. Greek yogurt is thicker than plain yogurt if you are using greek yogurt to make lassi add ¼ cup extra water in this recipe.
- You can adjust the consistency of lassi by adding milk or water or ice cubes.
- To make it even more delicious you can serve it topped with a scoop of butterscotch ice cream, Nougat or plain vanilla ice cream and serve it as a dessert.
Frequently Asked Questions for Strawberry Lassi
Can I make Vegan Strawberry Lassi?
Yes, you can use either almond milk yogurt, soy milk yogurt or cashew yogurt milk to make it vegan.
Can I prepare lassi in advance?
Yes, you can make lassi in advance. It stays good in the refrigerator for up to one day. But I prefer to prepare and assemble the ingredients in the fridge in a blender jar and churn it just before serving. It takes a minute but freshly churned lassi always tastes better.
Can I make strawberry lassi with canned strawberry Puree?
Yes, you can use that but first, check if canned puree contains added sugar. If it has sugar add extra sugar accordingly.
Serving Suggestions for Strawberry Lassi
Here are some ideas to serve strawberry lassi and enjoy it.
- As a light refreshing meal
- For a healthy dessert
- Smoothie for breakfast. I often add protein powder and keep it added sugar-free.
- This is a perfect recipe to serve for Navratri fasting.
You can store the prepared lassi in the fridge for 1 day. Another delicious way to store this and consume later is making strawberry yogurt popsicles by freezing them in popsicle moulds.
More Such Recipes
Here are some more delicious beverages you might enjoy:
Strawberry Smoothie- Vegan
- Stick blender (Indian)
- 1 cup strawberries chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ cup water
- 15 ice cubes
- Cut strawberries and discard green leafy part and stem.
- After chopping I make a paste of strawberries and sugar in the blender. You can any sweeter of your choice in place of sugar.
- To the pureed strawberry I add yogurt, ice cubes and a little bit of water or milk and blend it once again to make smooth mix.
- Serve this chilled strawberry lassi in a glass and garnish with a mint leaf or top with vanilla or butter scotch ice-cream and enjoy this refreshing drink or dessert.