Vegetable Poha recipe one of most cooked breakfast in our home, other than my favourite omelette :D. I think this is one of most popular healthy Indian breakfast dish made with flattened rice known as poha. When I first started to make poha, I never liked the clumpy texture of poha. With time and trials, I learned very few tips required to make non-sticky veg poha.
Having grown up in the interior of Haryana, I never had taste poha let alone know how to make poha. How poha or Pohe as it is known in MP became an integral part of our comfort breakfast is an interesting story. When we were Kids, my Mama (maternal Uncle) visited Indore on a work trip. Indori poha is one of most famous breakfast.
During that time he fell in the love with a Girl and she cooked a very delicious (but uncommon for us) breakfast of Indori poha for him. So, he brought back more than just a love story. Yes! he got for us some food stories as well 🙂 and some flattened rice with a recipe of how to make poha. Now, of course, we love our Kanda poha, Bread poha etc too.
Veg Poha Vs Aloo Poha
So as a novel dish most of the family members tried it and we fell in love with ‘Aloo poha’ immediately. The girl (now my Aunt) had already won the hearts of elders and she was already accepted as a family member by Nana Ji. Needless to say, our love affair with Poha continued.
I always have loved the traditional version of aloo poha in which fried potatoes and lots of peanuts are added to the soaked poha. But now after 4 decades of life and a very slow metabolism later, I needed some changes in diet and lifestyle patterns. Now the portion size, quality of nutrition and calories in poha all have started to matter.
I replace the potatoes in poha with vegetables. Adding vegetables in place of potatoes reduces the calories, brings into acceptable Glycemic Index range. It helps me to bulk up the recipe, I use less quantity of flattened rice/poha. I replaced the white rice poha with red rice poha. Red rice poha is better in nutrition and is unpolished.
So, what could be a better situation when your comfort breakfast of poha is now vegetable poha. It is a healthier version so you can enjoy it in a guilt-free manner.
Veg Poha - Recipe Notes and Tips
- Always soak Poha for a few minutes before using it.
- Rinse it in water and drain all the water immediately. Keep it for few minutes to soften the poha and its grains remain separated even after cooking.
- Chop the vegetables in fine, so it blends well with soft poha.
- Use medium thick poha/flattened rice so grains remain soft and separated. Too thin poha results in too much mushiness and thick variety sometimes remains undercooked.
More Such Recipes You Can Try
- Bread Poha Recipe
- Poha Recipe
- Paneer & Poha Tikki
- Dalia Upma Recipe
- Vegetable Upma Recipe
- 10 Popular Indian Breakfast Recipes
How To Make Healthy Poha Recipe Video
Vegetable Poha Recipe : Indian Breakfast of Poha Made Healthy
- 150 grams Red Rice poha medium thick
- 2 green chili finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoon peanuts shelled
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 Tablespoon Cabbage chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Bell pepper chopped capsicum
- 2 Tablespoon peas
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Salt to taste
- leaves coriander for garnish
- Sev Bhujia for garnish
- Take the red rice poha in a bowl, add ½ cup of water mix it well and set aside or rinse the poha with cold water drain out excess water immediately and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and shadow fry peanuts in the oil. remove them and keep aside to add later.
- In the same oil add in the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start popping add green chili and curry leaves. Add capsicum, cabbage and frozen peas cook these vegetables for few minutes till soft. Keep stirring that occasionally.
- Now add salt to taste and turmeric powder as well as red chili powder.
- Add tomatoes, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add 4-5 tablespoon of water and cook tomatoes till these are pulpy and cooked.
- Mix everything together and then add in the soaked red poha.
- Turn heat to low and mix all the ingredients. Cook for 2-3 minutes and finally add in coriander leaves and fried peanuts.
- Mix everything well and switch off the heat.
- Serve it hot and top with generous sprinkle of bhujia sev.
- Enjoy the hot bowl of vegetable poha with a steaming cup of Indian masala chai.
Just yesterday i tried this recipe its full of fiber,vitamin and minerals. Poha recipe is Indian most favourite breakfast.To make more healthy recipe use cold pressed coconut oil.Coconut oil produced by cold pressing retains its molecular composition, which is compromised in hot-pressed oils leading to the production of carcinogenic free radicals in the body.
It's good I will try to do this.
Thank you:) hope you will like it.
My favorite Poha recipe. Thank you.
I see you don't monetize mytastycurry.com, don't waste your traffic, you can earn additional cash every month
with new monetization method. This is the best adsense alternative
for any type of website (they approve all websites), for more
info simply search in gooogle: murgrabia's tools