Begun Paturi is a dish from Bengali cuisine inspired from a popular Macher Paturi. Eggplant is cooked after slathering it in a flavourful mustard paste and then steamed after wrapping in a banana leaf.
If you love simple soulful food that is packed with flavours which not only nourishes you but tastes amazing today’s recipe is just perfect for you.
I fell in love with a few of Bengali dishes when my husband was posted in Shillong long long time ago. My Bengali help introduced me to some delicacies which later on became frequent on our menu’s.
But the thing is me being a vegetarian she had to adapt certain popular recipes as per my dietary choices.This is one such dish inspired from Macher Paturi she made it with baingan or Begun and once she tried with Paneer.
I did not like the paneer version but this eggplant one stuck with me . The eggplant stuffed and slathered with masala paste wrapped in banana leaves steamed and served with gobindobhog rice What’s not to love! So do give this recipe a try I hope you will enjoy this as much as I do.
Why Should You Make It?
- It's very simple, nutritious and very delicious eggplant recipe that you can prepare in minutes.
- It's gluten-free, naturally vegan and easy to make.
- It makes delicious meal by itself and great side dish to serve with dal and rice.
- By steaming it in banana leaves it acquires a unique flavour that is very delicious.
- Eggplant: Long big sized eggplants (sliced lengthwise into 4 pieces)
- Spices: Mustard seeds, Poppy seeds, Turmeric powder
- Fresh coconut, grated
- Green Chillies, slit
- Salt to taste
- Banana leaf, cut into 10*8 rectangles for wrapping
- Mustard oil
What To Serve With It
I typically serve it with steamed rice and whole masoor dal.
Recipe Notes: Tips To Make It Good
- Allow the flavours to marinate after applying paste on eggplant slices. It helps in absorbing the spice flavours nicely.
- You can also add steamed rice while wrapping eggplant in banana leaves it tastes even more delicious.
- Always make slits in eggplant for the maximum absorption of flavours.
More Such Recipes
- Eggplant Sandwich Recipe
- Alu Baingan Recipe
- Methi Baingan Sabji
- Chinese Eggplant Tofu Recipe
- Bengali Dim Kosha Recipe
Begun Paturi: Eggplant in Banana leaf
- 1 big Eggplant sliced lengthwise into 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoons Mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon Poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons Fresh coconut grated
- 5 Green Chillies slit
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Banana leaf cut into 10*8 rectangles
- 1 teaspoons Mustard oil
- In a mortar and pestle or mixer grinder, make a coarse paste of mustard seeds, poppy seeds and green chilies by adding a little bit of water. grated coconut , salt to taste. Add in turmeric powder and mustard oil.
- Take a thick slice of baingan/eggplant.
- Make slits criss cross to stuff this masala paste.
- Stuff the masala nicely in the gaps and now wrap in banana leaf. Make a tight parcel using a thread
- Now take a non-stick pan and cook the parcels on it or like me steam them. In both the case close the pan with a heavy lid and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- After this take them out of the pan remove the thread open the packet sprinkle some red chilli lemon juice and enjoy with fragrant gobindobhog rice and masur dal. Dig right in and ENJOY! DISCLAIMER: This maybe authentic or may not be authentic.