Eggplant sandwich recipe that is super easy to make and it is so good that you will be making it frequently. This vegetarian eggplant sandwich is perfect for lunchbox, picnics or brunches.
Toasted bread topped with veggies, layers of smoky eggplant, salty feta and flavours from herbs this sandwich is a burst of flavours and textures. The eggplant sandwich is not only healthy and tasty but also very satisfying.
Loaded with veggies I am giving a lot of toppings options. You can make and serve this as a grilled eggplant sandwich or as an open toast.
Why Do We Love This Eggplant Sandwich?
- Ready in 20 minutes.
- Loaded with flavours.
- Vegetarian Sandwich that is perfect for lunch breakfast or dinner
Ingredients for Eggplant Sandwich
Bread: There’s a variety of bread that can be used to make eggplant sandwiches. My first two options are always Brioche and Sourdough. But This also tastes good with Panini bread or Ciabatta bread too. If you can’t find any of these bread use sandwich bread but you MUST make it.
Eggplant: I have used long eggplants but go for a plump round one if you have that and cut into roundels.
Cheese: Feta cheese and Cream cheese.
Pesto: Use store-bought basil pesto or make homemade pesto.
Veggies: I have used sliced tomatoes. If you love onions, use thinly sliced onions as well.
Toppings: Sea salt, Chilli flakes, black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds and basil.
How to Make it -Step by Step
- Slice tomatoes into roundels. Keep them aside.
- Cut eggplant into ¼ inch thick slices and keep them in salted water.
- Heat a grill pan or regular pan. Spray with olive oil and cook eggplant slices for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- In the same pan apply olive oil and place the bread slice and toast from both sides.
Assembling the sandwich
- Now Onto a plate or wooden board place the toasted bread.
- Apply cream cheese and follow that up with one teaspoon pesto.
- Place sliced tomatoes over and as well as grilled eggplant slices.
- Sprinkle Sea salt, red chilli flakes. I skipped sumac this time but you can sprinkle it if you have it.
- Top this with crumbled feta cheese and a generous sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Finally, add chopped basil over it and enjoy a delicious eggplant sandwich.
Oftentimes cut eggplant becomes bitter if kept for a longer time. To prevent this Soak eggplant in salted water.
- Make this sandwich like I have shared here and add fried egg on the top and sprinkle some chopped tomatoes. You can add half fried egg or full fried egg as per your choice. I have shared here how to make the perfect fried egg.
2. You can make another variation. For this I have used sliced brioche bread. I have used similar stuffings and added some lettuce. The main difference is I have topped with another toasted bread slice and served this eggplant and feta sandwich.
You can enjoy it as an open toast as I have shown in the video. I often make it in brioche bread and enjoy it as a sandwich. That way it is easy to pack and carry it to the office for lunch. You can cut the sandwich into 4 pieces and serve it as an appetiser.
Storage of leftovers
I usually prepare stuffings/toppings in advance and grill the sandwich when required as it tends to become soggy if stored for long periods of time. The toppings can be kept in the fridge for 2-3 days.
More Such Recipes
- Egg Cheese sandwich
- Masala Egg Sandwich
- Breakfast Egg Sandwich
- 5 Minutes Veg Sandwich Recipe
- Lebanese Falafel Pita Sandwich
- Egg In hole Grilled Sandwich
- Chilli Cheese Sandwich
- Capsicum Masala Grilled Sandwich
Old Post from 3rd June 2014 updated with Pictures and descriptions
- 2 slice bread Brioche slices
- 1 or 2 Egg plant slices
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 egg whole ( organic is better)
- 3 - 4 Cucumber slices
- 1 - 2 lettuce leaves
- 3 - 4 Tomato slices
- 1 tablespoon pesto lite
- 1 tablespoon Feta cheese Greek cube ( optional)
- 5 g Parmesan cheese
- Broil eggplant slice smeared with olive oil over a grill or in a pan.
- In the same pan smear it with bit of olive oil and cook an egg according to your preference, I I cook it little bit more till it is well set.
- Arrange , lettuce leaves, cucumber, tomatoes and eggplant slices in layers, and crumble feta cheese along with Parmesan cheese. Top it up with fried egg and cover it with another slice of toasted brioche.