Chinese eggplant and tofu dish is a delicious and satisfying gravy dish to serve with a side of rice or noodles. With the eggplant and tofu recipe dinner is on the table in less than 30 minutes. It’s our family's favourite dinner for weeknights.
Eggplant or Aubergine is such a versatile veggie. The meaty texture of eggplants and almost no flavour is perfect to add your favourite spice or sauce and make it your own.
Flavouring them right was all it took to make everyone fall in love with this versatile veggie. All you need is to season eggplant properly and cook for the right time to create a perfect texture. I am sharing a few tips to make any eggplant taste good.
If you want to include eggplants in your everyday cooking you are at the right place. I am planning to share a few eggplant recipes that will make you fall in love with this humble veggie. A few days ago I shared our all-time favourite baba ganoush recipe and Eggplant sandwich now this Chinese eggplant tofu is another of our family favourites.
Why We Love This
- This recipe combines eggplant and tofu, both of these are black canvas and absorb any flavour beautifully.
- The dish is a perfect balance of nutrients.
- Chinese eggplant tofu is vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and super healthy.
- Eggplant is rich in fibre and tofu is rich in vegan protein so this dish is a great balance of healthy and tasty.
Eggplant: Chinese long eggplant is preferable if you can't find the long ones you can use any variety with fewer seeds.
Tofu: Use semi firm or silken tofu.
Sauces: soy sauce, chilli bean paste, chilli sauce,
Aromatics: spring onions, garlic paste, ginger
Seasoning: salt, chilli flakes
Peanut oil Sesame seeds
See recipe card for quantities.
Use this section for process shots, alternating between the step and image showing the step. Users don't like seeing process shots cluttering up the recipe card, so include your process shots here.
Cut eggplant and sprinkle salt. Keep it aside for 20 minutes.
In a pan heat oil and add aromatics and spices.
Add drained out eggplants and water. simmer for a few seconds.
Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Add tofu cubes.
finish with green onions, chilli oil and sesame seeds.
Preparing the eggplant in right manner and right kind of sauce is the key to make perfect eggplant dish. All you need is to season eggplant properly with salt. That add taste and remove bitterness.
You can make it ahead of time and store in refrigerator for upto 2 days. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge.
Eggplant in this form do not freeze well as the texture spoils after freezing. So I do not recommend freezing this dish.
It tastes best as a main or as side with steamed rice or stir fried noodles both.
More Such Recipes
- Mediterranean Eggplant & Feta Sandwich
- Thai Basil Tofu Stir-fry
- Indian Potato Eggplant Curry
- Baingan Bharta
- Indian Methi baingan sabzi
- Baba Ghanoush
Chinese Eggplant and Tofu
- 300 grams eggplant Chinese long eggplant
- 200 grams Tofu silken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon green onion white part chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onion green part chopped
- ½ teaspoon Chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon chilli bean paste
- 1 tablespoon chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Sesame seeds
- Cut eggplant into thick slices of ½ inch thick and 2 inches long.
- Place the eggplant in a bowl and sprinkle some salt. Set this bowl aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop green onions and ginger and keep them aside as well.
- Cut medium-firm or silken tofu into 1x½ inch pieces.
To Prepare Sauce
- In a pan or a skillet, heat oil and add chopped white part of spring onion. Also, add minced ginger and garlic paste.
- Saute them for a few seconds and add green chillies and red chilli flakes.
- Now add bean paste, soy sauce and red chilli sauce. Cook for a few seconds and add ½ cup of water.
- Now add drained out eggplants and mix to combine.
- Cover and cook eggplants for 5-7 minutes.
- After that add tofu cubes and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped green onions and garnish with chilli oil.
- Serve over a warm bowl of steamed rice for a comforting meal.
This recipe has a good amount of sauce which is neither very brothy nor too thick.
The sauce is spicy. You can adjust the number of green chillies or you may skip them altogether.
Do not skip on chilli oil as it adds to the smokiness of the dish and tones of flavour.