This easy Baingan Bharta recipe is one of most favorite Punjabi recipe in my home. Eggplant or Baingan is roasted directly over flame. Then I cook this smoky roasted baingan with onion, tomatoes, and masala which results in most delicious and smoky baingan ka bharta.
Baingain bharta can easily be one of the tastiest eggplant dish only if you know how to make it perfectly. As usual I am always partial towards my Mom's Punjabi style Baingan ka Bharta recipe, which is Best Bharta recipe ever. Husband is a major eggplant/baingan fan so I follow her recipe of perfect baingan ka bharta. Don't they say the way to Man's heart always goes through his stomach ... and all that :D. In the nutshell I try to cook baingan in all sorts of dishes. Have you tried my Baingan and tamatar ki sabzi, Hyderabadi Bagara baingan, Aloo Baingan Sabzi, No onion No Garlic Aloo Baingan Sabzi yet? If you like baingan I say Do try you might like them.
Punjabi food is known for using innovative methods of cooking especially cooking food over the direct flame in tandoor. Extensive use of tandoor in cooking, cooking roti/paratha adds wonderful smoky aroma to the food and makes it special. For making Authentic Punjabi style Baingan bharta, eggplant is roasted on the direct flame in tandoor, for a smoky flavour. This way you can peels off skin very easily. After that you can cook roasted and mashed eggplant with few ingredients to make delicious baingan ka bharta.
In my home I no longer cook it over wood or charcoal, I cook it directly over flame in gas stove and it comes out great. Smokiness is not exactly similar but still baingan bharta tastes quite good. The important step in making baingan ka Bharta recipe is roasting the eggplant in right manner. While cooking you can add spices as per your choice. I like to keep it easy and simple. Very few ingredients and aromatics that's just about enough to make good baingain bharta recipe.
Finishing the recipe with sprinkle of green coriander leaves and some more chopped chilies make it complete. So when you are selecting eggplant for making baingan bharta, select the eggplant with the shiny and smooth surface. Also, pick the ones that are light as compared to heavier eggplant. Light eggplant has less ripe seeds which give it a great taste and good texture.
Tips For Making Tasty Baingan Bharta
- For skin to peel off easily, one needs to apply a generous coating of oil. Charring of skin of eggplant makes it easy to peel off and makes it taste smoky.
- The taste of bharta depends on cooking method, and not too many spices. I roast it nicely on slow heat so that it cooks from inside out.
- Using fresh eggplant makes a lot of difference in terms of taste of the dish.
I usually serve the bharta with Roti or paratha. The other day I served leftovers bharta mixed with yogurt with Pita chips... and it was totally amazing ! Do try this awesome tasting Baingan ka bharta ... All I can say is this has power to make baingan hater to Baingan Lover (me me me)!
- 500 g brinjal baingan / eggplant
- ½ teaspoon Oil
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 100 g onion chopped
- 200 g tomato chopped
- 2-3 green chilli chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoon green coriander chopped
- Grease the brinjal with oil and roast it over an open flame till it is cooked.
- Allow it to cool and peel of the skin of roasted eggplant. Mash the pulp with potato masher or with fork.
- For making tadka, heat the ghee in a pan and add chopped onion along with green chilli. Leave few to garnish it.
- When onion start to turn pink add chopped tomatoes, coriander powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder, cook them till tomatoes are pulpy and till the mixture leaves ghee.
- Add the mashed brinjal and salt, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes. Serve hot garnished with coriander and green chili.