Chettinad Potato Fry is a simple and tasty south Indian potato fry recipe. Here we love all sorts of potato recipes and potato dishes. These Chettinad aloo fry is a bomb. These delicious potatoes or aloo fry makes for a delicious teatime or an easy potato side dish.
This Chettinad style recipe is a potato roast recipe cooked in a different and flavourful way. This spicy potato fry or potato roast recipe gets the flavours from spicy dry roasted Chettinad Masala. This dry masala is a blend of aromatic masala that you can make ahead, store it and use it in any recipe preparation. I use similar masala in Chettinad style egg curry recipe.
How to Make Chettinad Potato Fry
Chettinad, is in Tamil Nadu India, and the Chettinad cuisine is famous for spicy aromatic and hot spices. I made a very Chettinad Potato Fry or potato recipe which goes well with Kuska Rice or Paratha. This potato sabzi scrumptious dry curries.
I often make this spice blend in large quantity and store it in a cool dry place. It comes in handy when I want to make a quick recipe like Chettinad Potato Fry Chettinad Egg Curry, I have used regular sized potatoes, you can make this recipe with baby potatoes as well.
We all are a fan of potato recipes especially spicy and quick potato recipes. Potatoes are so versatile and tasty that you can never have them enough. If you keep the potato calories out of the picture then you can make a number of mouth-watering dishes with just a few of them in hand. In fact, I have quite a list of my personal favorite easy potato recipes. I love to make Aloo Katli Masala, Chatpate Masala Aloo, Nepali Aloo Ka Achar, Chutney Wale Aloo, Aloo Palak Chaat.
Chettinad Potato Fry Recipe
Boiled potatoes, Chettinad masala, few basic Indian spices and 2 tablespoons of oil is what you need to make this tangy potato fry recipe. You can use leftover boiled potatoes or boil fresh potatoes for the recipe. I promise you will not regret even if you boil them specifically for this recipe. Chettinad Potato Fry is a recipe that can easily be packed in your kid’s lunch boxes as well.
All Chettinad recipes come traditionally from Chettinad, a small region in the state of Tamil Nadu. Popular for its local recipes and crafts their recipes are mostly based on ground masala powder. Chettinad Masala is hot and spicy, but you can adjust while adding the masala.
How To Make Chettinad Masala
The flavour of the potato fry after mixing a spoon of Chettinad masala is mouth-watering. Chettinad masala is a ground powder that I made with coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, whole black pepper, and a few spices. You can easily make and store Chettinad and later used to make a variety of recipes. I am a guilt-free potato lover and a fan of appetizers. The following is the easy recipe instructions and notes for Chettinad Aloo Fry
How to Make Aloo Fry – Recipe Notes
- You can boil potatoes in enough water until they turn soft rather than pressure cooking them for 2 whistles.
- Add salt while boiling the potatoes.
- Be patient while boiling the potatoes. You have to boil the potatoes (in their skins) until they are well cooked right inside and then proceed with the recipe.
- Make Chettinad masala ahead of time and then store it in a jar.
- After roasting the spices for Chettinad Masala, allow it to cool for a while and then blend it to a fine powder.
Do try this recipe and if you like it share it with your friends and family. Also, like us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Whatsapp. You can also subscribe to Our WhatsApp Recipe broadcast for Free by messaging Subscribe on +91-8368756817. Pin us on Pinterest, we would love to hear from you do leave your comments below.
Chettinad Potato Fry
(For Chettinad Masala)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Carom Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Star anise
- 2-3 Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Poppy Seeds
- 3-4 Red Chili
( For Potato Fry)
- 300 gram Potatoes Boiled
- pinch Hing/ Asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Urad Dal
- 1/2 teaspoon Chana Dal
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- Sprig of Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon Chettinad Masala
- 2 Red Chili
How To Make Chettinad Potato Fry
- Heat oil in a pan and when it starts to smoke add a pinch of Hing in it.
- Then add cumin seeds. When the cumin starts to crackle add urad dal, moong dal in it. After that break two red chilies and add them in the pan.
- Stir them well and when they are well roasted add boiled potato pieces in the pan.
- Mix the potatoes well with the spices and add a sprig of curry leaves.
- After that, add salt to taste, red chili powder and two teaspoons of Chettinad masala.
- Cook them for 3-4 minutes and then when it is well cooked, turn off the heat. Serve hot as an appetizer or with a paratha.