For making this best homemade Pizza sauce recipe you don’t need secret ingredients. A handful of ingredients, a little bit of patience and right cooking technique is secret of making this rich, easy to make Italian style pizza sauce that makes your pizza taste great.
Who does not love a good pizza! It’s no secret that for making a good pizza you need Best Pizza Sauce. This is that easy and best Italian pizza sauce recipe that is used in making Napoli style Neapolitan pizza.
Simple, 6 ingredients, hearty, flavourful this is not only perfect sauce to top the pizza you can use it in many different ways which I am sharing at the end of this post.
This homemade pizza sauce is
- No onion No Garlic
- Ready in 30 minutes
Ingredients for Homemade Pizza sauce
Canned whole Peeled tomatoes: I make many types of tomato sauces. I have made pizza sauce with raw tomatoes, canned chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and all of them taste good but for the best sauce I use these canned whole peeled tomatoes and these are the Best!
Olive oil: If anything makes tomatoes taste great it is good quality olive oil. It adds tones of flavour to a pizza sauce or pasta sauce.
Seasonings: Few dried and fresh herbs in the sauce are enough to bring the best flavours in the sauce. I have used dried rosemary, roasted chilli flakes, fresh Italian basil and Sea salt.
Sugar: I don’t like pizza sauce to have a sweet flavour at all. But if you wish to add a teaspoon sugar to bring out the taste.
How to Make Pizza Sauce
To make pizza sauce from scratch, first you need to cook tomatoes.
In a pan add 2 cans of whole peeled tomatoes. Squish the tomatoes with your hands or crush them using a masher. Do not blend them completely because we need very small chunks to concentrate the flavour. [Photo1]
Add a splash of olive oil, dried rosemary roasted red chilli flakes and stir it. [Photo2,3]
Cover with a lid and allow the pizza sauce to simmer for 20 minutes or so. [Photo4]
Stir it once or twice in between.
Now tear some fresh basil with hands and add. [Photo 1]
Also, add sea salt or kosher salt and a teaspoon of sugar and some more red chilli flakes. [Photo 2,3]
Simmer for few more minutes and you best, rich, flavourful homemade pizza sauce from scratch is ready. [Photo 4]
You can make it as thick as you want. That means the longer you simmer it thicker and concentrated it becomes. When it is done taste to adjust seasonings and flavour as per your taste preference.
I believe every recipe has scope for customisation as per personal taste, so I am trying to answer a few common questions regarding making pizza sauce at home.
Watch Video: How to Make It
Recipe Notes & Expert Tips
Can I use Fresh Tomatoes instead of canned ones?
You totally can do that. You can make pizza sauce with tomatoes when tomatoes are best! Roma tomato, San Marzano or a mix of both are perfect for making pizza sauce. But when I do not get these I have made pizza sauce with regular tomatoes. This is the recipe.
How to Freeze Pizza Sauce
You can freeze this sauce. That is why I always make a big batch use some amount fresh and pour the rest into freezer-safe containers and store pizza sauce in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to Store Pizza Sauce
Before storing allow the sauce to cool slightly and then pour in a glass container. You can either store it fridge side of your refrigerator or freeze it! It says good in the fridge for the 7 days.
How to Use Homemade Sauce
There are various ways you can use this pizza sauce. Other than using this Italian pizza sauce for your Napoli pizza you can use this homemade sauce for:
- Dipping sauce for freshly made bread like crescent rolls, cheesy garlic scallion bread
- Use it to slather on bread while making grilled cheese.
- I have been known to toss some pasta veggies, beans and fresh mozzarella cheese to make baked pasta with this pizza sauce.
Sold on Yet? Make this rich homemade pizza sauce and trust me this can very well become your go-to, most easy homemade pizza sauce recipe!
More Such Recipes to Try
Best Italian Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe
- Sauce Pan
- 2 can Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 2 teaspoon Red chilli flakes roasted
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary
- ⅕ cup cup Basil Leaves
- To make pizza sauce from scratch first you need to cook tomatoes.
- In a pan add 2 cans of whole peeled tomatoes. Squish the tomatoes with your hands or crush them using a masher. Do not blend them completely because we need very small chunks to concentrate the flavour.
- Add a splash of olive oil, dried rosemary, roasted red chilli flakes and stir it.
- Cover with a lid and allow the pizza sauce to simmer for 20 minutes or so.
- Stir it once or twice in between.
- Now tear some fresh basil with hands and add. Also add sea salt or kosher salt and a teaspoon of sugar.
- Simmer for few more minutes and you best, rich, flavourful homemade pizza sauce from scratch is ready.
- You can make it as thick as you want. That means longer you simmer it thicker and concentrated it becomes.
- When it is done taste to adjust seasonings and flavour as per your taste preference.