Make this healthy Chana chaat recipe in minutes when chaat craving strikes. This delicious Chana chaat is ready in minutes. It is protein and fibre rich Indian style Chickpeas salad that is vegan and completely gluten-free.
You can serve this aloo chana chaat for snack or appetiser and as a side dinner or lunch. All you need is chickpeas or Kabuli chana and add a few ingredients to multiple variations of chana chaat. Chickpeas are rich in proteins and I often add sprouts to make in this protein-rich chana salad.
I mostly make this for an evening snack, and the basic version is mostly aloo chana chaat with few basic spices. Traditionally Indian chaat recipes are high on spices as well as chutney. In this chana chaat, I skipped tamarind chutney which is sweet and sour in taste.
I replaced it with honey and fresh lime juice which makes it healthier and lighter in taste.
Chana chaat Recipe ingredients
Chickpeas: Also known as garbanzo beans or kabuli chana in hindi. Chickpeas are a great source of vegetarian protein and are rich in fibre.
Moong Sprouts: Whole green moong beans sprouts. These are also rich in proteins and other micronutrients.
Potatoes: Boiled and cubed potatoes are core of any Indian chaat.
Tomatoes: Remove the seeds and finely chop the tomatoes.
Pomegranate arils: To add crunch and fresh taste.
Spices & Seasonings: Salt, red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala powder, mint powder, black salt.
Honey: To add a bit of sweet taste to chana chaat.
Lime juice: To Add sourness to chaat.
Green chillies: These are optional but add a very good heat to the chickpeas chaat.
Fresh Mint Leaves: Adds a refreshing flavour.
How to Make Chana Chaat?
You can make this in 5 minutes, the only prerequisite is you should have cooked chickpeas and boiled potatoes available. I mostly boil chickpeas and potatoes during meal prep and that way I can make many recipes super quick.
In case you are using canned chickpeas skip pressure cooking and use drained chickpeas directly.
Allow the chickpeas or potatoes to cool down first. Once these cool down, simply toss all the ingredients, chickpeas, tomatoes, veggies and spices together and enjoy it.
Can I Use Canned Chickpeas to make Chaat?
You can use canned chickpeas after draining them from the liquid.
How to Cook Chickpeas?
To cook chickpeas, first you need to soak dried chickpeas in water for 6-8 hours. Next step is pressure cooking the chickpeas for 3-4 whistles till chickpeas are soft and tender. Allow them to cool. After draining them from liquid you can use these chickpeas.
- You can make many variations of this basic chana chaat by substituting or adding ingredients. This is one of the most healthy versions of chaat.
- But you can make another street style variety of chana chaat by adding crushed paid/puri along with green chutney and tamarind chutney.
- Add farsan or namkeen top it with sev and make multiple varieties as per your taste.
- If you want to serve it as salad, I suggest to skip chaat masala and red chilli powder and add honey, lemon and a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil. It tastes best as a snack or as a healthy side dish or salad for dinner or lunch.
Check out more Such recipes
Watch step by step Video
Chana Chaat - Kabuli Chana Chaat - Chickpeas Chaat
- cups Chickpeas boiled
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 medium potato boiled and cut into cubes
- 1 medium Tomato Chopped
- ½ cup Moong Sprouts
- ¼ cup Pomegranate
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon Chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon Mint powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon green chilli chopped
- 2 tablespoon mint leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Black salt
- In a big mixing bowl mix together chickpeas, cubed potatoes, pomegranate, chopped green chillies, moong sprouts and peanuts.
- Also add chopped mint leaves, all the spice powders squeeze fresh lime juice and then drizzle the honey. Toss nicely and enjoy healthy protein-rich chana chaat.
- You can add one or all of the following ingredients to add many variations.
- Crushed paid/puri along with green chutney and tamarind chutney.
- Crushed cornflakes Add farsan or namkeen top it with sev and make multiple varieties as per your taste.