High-Protein Quinoa Salad with over 15 grams of protein per serving and whopping 9 grams of fibre is healthy and easy to make salad. It is vegan, and gluten-free. A delicious and easy to carry for a packed lunch or picnics.
A high protein quinoa and kidney bean salad is a great way to add more protein to your diet. Quinoa is a complete protein, meaning it contains all essential amino acids, and kidney beans are also a good source of protein. I also like to add protein-rich ingredients such as tofu, some nuts like almonds or cashews for extra crunch and protein.
Ingredients For Quinoa Salad
Quinoa: Cooked quinoa (Here’s How to Cook Quinoa Perfectly)
Kidney Beans: Also known as rajma. You can use boiled rajma or canned kidney beans that are rinsed and drained.
Paneer: For Vegan version substitute paneer with tofu.
Veggies: Pomegranate pearls, Cucumber: Dice it into small cubes, Romaine lettuce (chopped)
For Salad Dressing: Lemon Juice, Extra virgin Olive oil, Chilli flakes, sumac, mixed herbs (dried), sea salt.
How To Make It?
Quinoa and kidney bean salad is a healthy and delicious dish that combines the nutritional benefits of both ingredients. To make the salad, you will need to cook the quinoa and kidney beans separately.
Once they are cooked, combine them in a large bowl with your desired vegetables and dressing. Some popular additions to this salad include diced tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, and cilantro. You can also add some flavor with a dressing made from olive oil, lemon juice, and spices such as sumac and chili powder and herbs for flavours. Enjoy as a side dish or as a complete meal.
Why Should You Make Quinoa and Kidney beans salad
There are several reasons why you should make a quinoa and kidney bean salad:
1. Nutritional Value: Quinoa and kidney beans are both high in protein, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals. This makes the salad a nutrient-dense option that can help you meet your daily nutritional needs.
2. Protein-rich: This salad is an excellent source of high-quality protein.
3. Gluten-free: Quinoa is gluten-free, making it a great option for those with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease.
4. Versatile: The salad can be customized with different vegetables, seasonings, and dressings, so you can enjoy it in many different ways.
5. Easy to make: Quinoa and kidney beans are both easy to cook, and the salad comes together quickly.
6. It can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for a quick and easy lunch or dinner.
7. Cost-effective: Quinoa and kidney beans are both relatively inexpensive, making this salad an affordable option for feeding a crowd or meal prepping.
8. Perfect for vegetarians or vegans: This salad is a great option for vegetarians or vegans as it provides a complete protein source.
9. Great for weight loss: This salad is low in calories and high in fiber, making it a great option for those trying to lose weight.
Health Benefits of Quinoa and Kidney Beans
Quinoa is an ancient grain that is considered a "superfood" due to its high nutrient content. It is gluten-free and contains high levels of protein, fiber, and minerals such as magnesium and phosphorus. It is also a good source of antioxidants and essential amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein.
Kidney beans, on the other hand, are a type of legume that are also a good source of protein. They are also high in fiber, potassium, and other essential minerals and vitamins. They are low in fat and calories, and are a great addition to any diet.
When combined, quinoa and kidney beans make a great source of high-quality protein. A ¾ cup serving of cooked quinoa contains about 8 grams of protein, and a ½ cup of cooked kidney beans contains about 8 grams of protein. This makes for a salad that is a complete and balanced source of protein.
Additionally, you can add other high protein ingredients such as tofu or cheese to boost the protein content of the salad further. You can also add some healthy fats like avocado or nuts to make it more satisfying.
This salad is also versatile and can be served as a side dish or as a main course, it can be served cold or warm, and can be customized with different seasonings, dressings, and vegetables to suit your taste.
Tips to Make Best Quinoa Kidney beans salad
Here are some tips to make the best quinoa and kidney bean salad:
1. Cook quinoa and kidney beans properly: Make sure to rinse the quinoa thoroughly before cooking, and cook it in a ratio of 2:1 (water to quinoa) for about 15-20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender. For kidney beans, you can either cook them from dry or use canned beans, just make sure to rinse them well before adding to the salad.
2. Use fresh vegetables: Use fresh, in-season vegetables for the best flavor. Some popular options include tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, red onion, and avocado.
3. Add some flavor: Use a flavorful dressing to add some extra flavor to the salad. A simple vinaigrette made with olive oil, lemon juice, and spices can be used or you can try a yogurt-based dressing.
4. Experiment with different seasonings: Try different seasonings and herbs to find the perfect flavor combination. Some popular options include cumin, chili powder, cilantro, and parsley.
5. Add some crunch: Add some crunch to the salad by adding some nuts or seeds like almonds, cashews, or pumpkin seeds.
6. Experiment with different proteins: Mix it up by adding some different proteins to the salad like grilled chicken, boiled eggs, or tofu.
7. Serve it as a main course: This salad can be served as a main course by adding more protein source, vegetables, and nuts.
Can You Make Ahead?
You can Make it in advance: The quinoa salad can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Just add the dressing just before serving.
How to store leftover quinoa salad?
Leftover quinoa and kidney bean salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To store the salad, make sure that it has cooled to room temperature before placing it in the container.
When storing the salad, it's best to keep the dressing separate and pour it over the salad just before serving. This will prevent the salad from getting soggy and will keep the vegetables fresh.
You can also store the salad in individual portions, so that you can grab one and go. This is especially convenient if you plan to take it as lunch to work or school.
When reheating the salad, you can reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop in a pan. Be sure to stir it occasionally to ensure that it heats evenly.
It's important to note that the salad may lose some of its crispness after being refrigerated, but the flavors will be well developed.
More Quinoa Recipes
More Salad Recipes
High Protein Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- ½ cup kidney beans cooked
- ¼ cup pomegranate
- 100 grams paneer
- 1.5 cup cucumber diced
- 1.5 cup romain lettuce chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon
- 2 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon sumac
- ½ teaspoon mixed herbs dried
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, kidney beans, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, and parsley.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa mixture and toss to coat.
- Let the salad sit for at least 30 minutes before serving to let the flavors meld together.
- Enjoy as a side dish or as a complete meal.
- This salad is a perfect combination of quinoa and kidney beans, with a burst of flavor from the lemon vinaigrette. It's packed with nutrients, protein, and fiber and can be served as a side dish or as a main course. You can also add some additional protein like chicken, tofu or boiled eggs to make it more filling.