Quinoa pulao is healthy gluten-free and delicious protein rich delicious Indian dish made with Quinoa.
Quinoa is making quite a buzz among health conscious people, because it is great gluten-free grain which is also rich source of protein, iron, and fiber During the course of a masterclass I recently conducted for a brand I work with I demonstrated many quinoa recipes and people were really curious about Quinoa and among other queries this one question I was asked by many was How to incorporate Quinoa in Indian Dishes.
So this Quinoa pulao is first in the small series of Indian recipes with quinoa I am going to be posting on blog. Just like normal veg pulao 'Quinoa Veg pulao' is complete meal in itself, because along with quinoa lots of veggies also are added to the dish.
Since quinoa itself is rich in proteins and fiber you really don’t require too many accompaniment to make it a complete meal. Just serve it with a side of some raita and you have a super healthy, super quick, and soul satisfying meal even on the days when you feel lazy to cook or even weeknight dinners.
There have already been elaborate discussions over various platforms about the merits and demerits of quinoa vs other grains, so I will not go into the details. I agree that it is expensive on pocket as compared to many other cheaper alternatives available in the market. For me what wins me over first and far-most is taste and if taste comes with nutrition nothing better than that. Most of the times I replace rice with quinoa in my meals and if you read nutrition comparison below you will know the nutritional difference.
Nutrition Comparison Rice Vs Quinoa
For more Detailed analysis Check this article on Prevention.com
Nutrition in Quinoa Pulao
Calories in Quinoa Pulao : 300 Calories per portion (nutrition breakdown given below the recipe )
If you love to include quinoa in your everyday diet and looking for more quinoa recipes you may like this Quinoa Mango and Cranberry Salad, Grilled Paneer and Quinoa Salad, Warm Pumpkin Salad with Quinoa , Roasted Tomato Veggies and Quinoa Soup , Rajma Galouti kabab with Millet and Quinoa
If you cook this recipe or find it helpful or interesting, please do share it on facebook, twitter or pin it on Pinterest this may help others too and keeps me motivated to write more.
- 200 g quinoa
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 10 - 12 Black peppercorn
- ½ inch cinnamon piece
- 1 Star anise
- ¼ cup carrots chopped
- ¼ cup corn
- ¼ cup Peas Fresh
- ¼ cup beans French
- 2 tbsps mint leaves
- Salt red chilli and powder as per taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat up ghee in a large pan and cumin seeds to it.
- When cumin seeds start to splutter add chopped onions followed by green peas, chopped beans, chopped carrots, corn and yellow or green bell peppers.
- Saute all the vegetables for 3-4 minutes on medium heat while stirring them so they do not burn.
- Now add washed or dry quinoa to the pan and once again saute these together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt to taste, red chilli powder and garam masala powder to the pan followed by coriander leaves, mint leaves, and 400 ml of water.
- Cover and cook for approximately from 12-15 minutes over low heat. Check it after 12 minutes first and then see if it requires more cooking.