Green peas Koshimbir is simple, fresh yet delicious dish made with fresh sweet and juicy and tender fresh green peas. This Maharashtrian salad dish can be enjoyed as a salad or side dish. Fresh crushed green peas with Maharashtrian tempering takes just needs 5 minutes and is a nutrition packed dish.
What is Koshimbir?
Koshimbir is a traditional raw salad that is enjoyed by many people in Maharashtra, India. It's a simple, yet delicious dish that is easy to make and can be enjoyed as a side dish, snack, or as part of a traditional Maharashtrian meal.
The key features of Koshimbir is that it is made with fresh, raw vegetables that are finely chopped. These vegetables are typically cucumber, tomatoes, onions, and coriander leaves. The vegetables are mixed together and tossed with a simple dressing made with lime juice, sugar, and salt. This gives the salad a tangy and sweet flavor that is balanced by the saltiness.
Another important ingredient in Koshimbir is roasted peanuts. These are added to the salad to give it a crunchy texture and a nutty flavor. Some people also add mint leaves to the salad for an extra burst of freshness. It is a versatile dish, you can play around with different ingredients to make it more interesting and to suit your taste.
Green Peas Koshimbir
Recently I tasted this at a friend's home and I was surprised to know that you can make koshimbir with fresh peas too. So, I gave it a try and the dish came out so delicious that I am making it on the repeat. So here’s the recipe for Green Peas Koshimbir.
It is a great option for a healthy and refreshing meal. It is also a great option for vegetarians and vegans. Traditionally it is served chilled, but it can also be enjoyed at room temperature. It can be enjoyed as a side dish with any Maharashtrian meal or as a snack. It is also a popular dish served during religious festivals and ceremonies.
Ingredients for Green Peas Koshimbir
Green Peas: Fresh tender shelled green peas. Winter peas are the best for making this salad.
Fresh Herbs & Seasonings: Green chillies, curry leaves and Coriander leaves
Raw Sesame Oil
Peanuts: Roasted peanuts that are crushed
Salt to taste
Tips to Make Best Koshimbir
Here are some tips to make the best Maharashtrian Koshimbir:
- Use fresh vegetables: Make sure to use the freshest green peas possible for the best flavor.
- Adjust the seasoning: Taste the salad before serving and adjust the seasoning as needed. You may need to add more salt, sugar, or lime juice to suit your taste.
- Roast the peanuts: Roasting the peanuts will give them a nice, nutty flavor that will complement the other ingredients in the salad.
- Add mint leaves: Adding mint leaves will give the salad a refreshing, herby flavor.
More Green Peas Recipes
- Peas Pulao
- Matar Ka Nimona
- Aloo Matar
- Matar Paratha
- Matar Paneer ( No onion no Garlic)
- Greek Peas and Potato - Arakas
- Matar mushroom Curry
- Matar Paneer Cutlets
- Aloo Gajar Matar ki sabji (Punjabi style)
If You like this recipe and made it Please rate the recipe. It helps us to reach more people. You can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest for more food inspirations.
Green Peas Koshimbir Recipe
- 1 cup Peas freshly shelled
- 2 Tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Peanuts roasted peanuts
- 1 green chili finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut grated
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- For Tempering
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Crush shelled green peas by blitzing it once or twice in a chopper or grinder jar.
- Make sure that peas are just split into halves and have a corse texture. You don’t have to completely mash them.
- In a large bowl, combine crushed green peas, coriander leaves, grated coconut and roasted peanuts.
- Add the chopped green chili (if using) and mix well.
- Add the salt, and lime juice and mix everything together.
- Now in a small tempering pan heat sesame oil, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies. As soon as mustard starts popping add this over the crushed peas salad.
- Mix it, taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve it immediately and enjoy!
Leave me your feedback here please