Vegetable Hot n Sour Soup is popular soup from Indo Chinese cuisine. As the name vegetable hot n sour soup suggests the soup is spicy with heat of chili, loaded with fresh vegetables and tanginess from rice vinegar.
Winters are perfect time to enjoy heart warming and comforting soup bowls. Winters have finally arrived in Delhi, so at our home we are enjoying the steaming soups as usual. Winters are also time for so many fresh vegetables which gives a lovely colour and healthy taste to any soup.
Yesterday I shared a popular Indo chines soup recipe Sweet Corn Soup in MTCwinterDelights series. To continue that I am sharing another popular Indo chinese soup recipe Veg Hot n sour soup.
In the Veg hot n sour soup, you can try various combination of vegetables as per availability during various seasons. I have used the vegetables which are pretty much available in all the seasons. Other than that one can add tofu, paneer or bamboo shoots etc. For me the soup is not only warming, it nourishes the soul and warms the belly, and that t helps to use up all the tid bits vegetables lurking in fridge crisper, is another plus.
I added galangal for extra flavour but if you don’t have galangal you can use regular ginger. Use of ginger/ galangal not only enhances the taste of vegetable hot n sour soup, but along with black pepper powder it makes it excellent soup if you are fighting a nasty cold. Another soup that is excellent for fighting common cold and cough is Rasam ( I will be posting the recipe soon ).
The hot n sour soup is usually served topped with green coriander, and spring onion greens, but sometimes I love to add fried noodles too which add a wonderful crunch and adds to texture of the soup.
If you like soup recipes and especially hot winter soups, You can also try, Sweet corn Vegetable Soup , Mexican Tortilla Soup, Roasted Tomato Veggie and Quinoa soup , Chunky Roasted Tomato Soup , Tomato and Carrot Soup some of other delicious soup recipes are here under Soup Category.
This week I will be posting many soup recipes which are popular and loved by most of people. So if you are looking for healthy and tasty easy soup recipes, stay tuned. You can follow me onInstagram, Facebook, & Twitter to stay updated or signup for the weekly newsletter. or look under #MTCwinterdelights
If you cook this Veg Hot n Sour soup recipe and find it helpful, please do share it on facebook, twitter or pin it on Pinterest this may help others too and keeps me motivated to write more.
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 75 g spring onion with greens
- 100 g carrot small diced
- 100 g french beans chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- ½ inch ginger piece ½piece I used galangal
- 2 cloves garlic optional
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon green chilli sauce/ chili paste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon cornflour dissolved in 2water
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion greens
- Heat the oil in a wok / pan
- Add ginger/galangal and sliced garlic (if using) and fry for a few seconds.
- Now add chopped onion, ginger, french beans, peas and fry for 3-4 minutes on high heat.
- Follow it up with vegetable stock, 2 cups of water, vinegar, light soya sauce, dark soya sauce, chilli sauce, pepper and salt, mix well bring the mix to a light boil.
- Add the cornflour dissolved into water, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Serve hot topped with coriander and chopped spring onion greens.
- If you like you can top it with few deep fried noodles just before serving.