We are crazy about crispy Aloo tikki recipe made in Delhi style, but who is not. If you ask me what is your favourite potato recipe it will either be aloo chaat or Aloo tikki chaat. Always! every time, Period! And better than that makes it Aloo Tikki Chole chaat, or maybe Aloo tikki burger. You get it now :D. Aloo tikki is my most favourite chaat recipe.
Aloo ki tikki is a famous street food of Delhi. Potato snacks are popular all across North India, popular Aloo ki chaat or Aloo Katori chaat. If there is a street food, more often than not, potatoes are one of the main ingredients in it.
If you ever needed a crispy Aloo tikki recipe to make perfect aloo tikki chaat with that golden brown color just like chaat wala in the Delhi market, this is it. Tikki/patty is made with boiled potatoes. This is then fried to golden and crispy perfection and served sweet and tangy chutneys and spice powders.
If you love street food and have ever been to Delhi, Aloo tikki chaat is one thing you just can not miss. Most famous is old Delhi Chaat menu Where you get most awesome Karari (crispy) and spicy Aloo ki tikki. A huge batch of tikki being fried on a big wave/griddle in ghee and a queue waiting for their turn to get their piping hot Aloo tikki, that’s the usual scene at any chaat shop in Delhi.
But if you have not been to Delhi or if you are trying to make tikki at home. Try this Aloo tikki recipe of mine you will never miss the taste of Aloo tikki from the Local Chaat Wala ( Chat vendor). Tall claims! I know 🙂 but really try it once. Follow the exact proportions and cooking method and make exactly street style Aloo Tikki easily at home.
How to make Aloo Tikki
To make crispy Aloo tikki, there are two things that are important.
- The amount of cornflour or arrowroot you use, too little your tikki will not have enough binding, and too much it ends up tasting too powdery.
- How to make aloo tikki? It should be cooked on slow-medium flame till outer skin is uniformly brown. Oil should neither be very hot nor below 130c.
I have made the tikki stuffing with paneer in this recipe. You can try different stuffings, Chana dal or green peas stuffing also tastes great in tikki. Choose the stuffing as per your taste. Also for binding the potatoes in tikki, you can either use bread crumbs, cornflour or arrowroot powder. In this aloo tikki recipe I have used cornflour.
Another thing that is important in making good Aloo tikki chaat is how you assemble it. Aloo tikki can be served as Aloo tikki chole in which chaat is made with tikki and along with chutneys and dahi, it is topped with spicy chole curry. Another popular way of serving street style aloo tikki is to serve it with tamarind chutney and tangy and green chutney with dahi.
We love it both ways, but here I have shown the Tikki with Chutneys spices and whipped yogurt. You can make plain aloo tikki without stuffing or make them with typical Delhi style stuffing of paneer and kishmish.
If you love Aloo tikki chaat or Indian street food recipes you might like to try these.
If you love Chaat recipes you may like to try, Matar ki Tikki papri chaat, Masoor ki Tikki Chaat, Ram Laddoo (Delhi Chaat) Dahi Vada Chaat, Dahi Pakodi Chaat, Paneer ki Tikki Chaat, Ragda patice etc. All Chaat recipes on my Tasty curry
If you are liking the recipes and content which I am posting, I would really appreciate, if you share the post by clicking on share buttons below this post with your Facebook friends or Twitter followers or Google+ circles. You can also pin it on Pinterest so it reaches to wider audiences, It helps to keep me and my team motivated and inspires us to create better content. Thank you!
Recipe Notes: How to make Perfect Aloo Tikki
- Mash boiled potatoes as fine as you can. Mashed potatoes should be totally lump-free.
- Always use cornflour for binding, this binds the potatoes better and gives a crisp outer layer to tikki. Using breadcrumbs in okay but cornflour gives the best result. A perfect street like crispy tikki.
- Shallow frying on slow-medium heat is must for the crisp outer layer.
- While you are shallow frying flip/turn the tikki minimum two times and keep pressing with a flat spatula in between.
If you take care of these tree things your tikki will turn out crisp each time you make it.
Watch Aloo Tikki Recipe in Hindi
DID YOU COOK this Aloo tikki recipe
- 400 g Potatoes boiled peeled
- 2 tablespoon tablespoon Cornflour heaped
- Salt to taste
- 100 g paneer chopped
- 2 green chilli chopped
- 1 inch ginger ipc of ginger chopped
- 2 tablespoon raisins/ kishmish
- Red chilli powder
- chaat masala powder
- coriander leaves
- ¼ cup Green chutney
- ¼ cup tamarind chutney
- 1 cup yogurt /dahi
- Mash the boiled potatoes properly using a potato masher if you want to use a grater that is fine too. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Add cornflour to the mashed potatoes as well as salt to taste.
- Now mix the dough well till cornflour is uniformly mixed. Keep the dough aside and make a filling for the tikki.
- To make the filling heat up one tablespoon oil in the pan, add chopped ginger and chopped coriander to it. Cook for a minute and add chopped green chilies.
- Now add salt, chopped paneer and raisins. Cook for 4-5 minutes and keep this aside.
- Now to make Aloo tikki, divide the dough into 5 equal parts. Grease the palm of your hand with a little bit of oil. flatten the dough and in the center place the spoonful of paneer filling.
- Now close the dough and bring it back in the center (like shown in the video) so that filling in enclosed in the patty/tikki. Likewise, make all the aloo tikkis.
- Now heat 4-5 tablespoon oil in a pan, when the oil is heated through, turn the flame to low-medium and shallow fry the aloo tikki while pressing with a spatula from time to time till you get perfect golden brown crispy aloo tikki.
- Now to assemble them, you can serve tikki in a bowl. I used recyclable wooden bowl which is used to serve chaat.
- First of all, add a big spoonful of yogurt/curd in which salt is added. Place the tikki over it and drizzle some more curd.
- Now top it with sweet tamarind chutney and spicy and tangy green chutney. Sprinkle chaat masala, red chilli powder and finally some sev. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve the Aloo tikki chaat immediately.