Get ready to fall in love with this delicious, healthy, and vibrant Roasted Beetroot Hummus recipe! This easy-to-make beet hummus dip is not only visually stunning but also packed with nutrients and flavor.
Perfect for anyone looking for a vegan, gluten-free, and diabetic-friendly snack, this recipe is sure to impress your friends and family at your next gathering.
Why Make Beetroot Hummus?
Beetroot hummus is a creative and nutritious twist on traditional hummus, offering an enticing pop of color and a unique earthy flavor. Rich in antioxidants and nutrients, beetroot adds both health benefits and visual appeal to this classic dip, making it a must-try for any hummus enthusiast.
- Roasted Beetroots (2 medium): Beetroots are the star of this hummus, adding a beautiful color and earthy flavor. Roasting the beetroots enhances their natural sweetness and makes them easier to blend into the hummus.
- Chickpeas (1 15-ounce can): Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are the primary ingredient in traditional hummus. They are high in protein, fiber, and various essential nutrients, making them a healthy and filling base for the dip.
- Tahini (⅓ cup): Tahini is a creamy paste made from ground sesame seeds. It adds a rich, nutty flavor to the hummus and contributes to its smooth texture. Look for high-quality tahini with a pourable consistency for the best results.
- Fresh Lemon Juice (3 tablespoons): Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds brightness and acidity to the hummus, balancing out the flavors and providing a hint of tanginess.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (2 tablespoons): Olive oil is blended into the hummus for a smoother texture and richer taste. It also provides heart-healthy fats that contribute to the overall nutritional value of the dip.
- Salt and Sumac (to taste): Seasoning the hummus with salt and pepper enhances the flavors of the other ingredients and allows you to adjust the taste to your preference.
- Optional toppings (chopped parsley, lemon zest, and sesame seeds): These toppings add extra flavor, texture, and visual appeal to the finished hummus. Chopped parsley brings a fresh, herbaceous note, while lemon zest adds a zesty citrus element. Sesame seeds provide a subtle crunch and reinforce the nuttiness of the tahini.
By using these ingredients in the Roasted Beetroot Hummus recipe, you'll create a delicious, nutritious, and visually stunning dip that's perfect for any occasion.
Tips for the Best Beetroot Hummus:
- Roast the beets for a deeper, richer flavor. Wrap them in foil and roast at 400°F (200°C) for about 45-60 minutes, or until tender.
- Use fresh lemon juice and high-quality tahini for a bright, creamy hummus.
- Adjust the consistency by adding a little water or olive oil while blending the hummus, as needed.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt, pepper, or lemon juice, as desired.
Is it Healthy?
Yes, beetroot hummus is a healthy snack option. Packed with fiber, protein, and essential vitamins and minerals, this dip is a nutritious choice for those following a vegan, gluten-free, or diabetic-friendly diet.
- Spice it up with a pinch of cumin, paprika, or cayenne pepper.
- Add a tablespoon of chopped fresh dill or cilantro for a fresh, herbaceous twist.
- Blend in a small roasted red pepper for a smoky, slightly sweet flavor.
Serve your beetroot hummus with an assortment of fresh vegetables, whole-grain pita chips, or warm pita bread. You can also use it as a spread on sandwiches or wraps, or as a base for a nourishing grain bowl.
Diabetic-Friendly and Make-Ahead Tips:
Beetroot hummus is diabetic-friendly, as it is low in added sugars and high in fiber, which can help regulate blood sugar levels. This recipe can also be made in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The flavors will develop even more as it sits, making it a convenient and delicious option for meal prep.
More Such Recipes
Beetroot Hummus Recipe:
- 1 beetroots medium roasted peeled and diced
- 1 15 ounce can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: chopped parsley lemon zest, and sesame seeds
- In a food processor, combine the roasted beetroots, chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil. Blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- If the hummus is too thick, add water or olive oil, one tablespoon at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with optional toppings.
- Enjoy your homemade roasted beetroot hummus with your favorite dippers!