Eggless chocolate mousse recipe, a quick, easy and super delicious dessert with Oreo. This chocolate mousse with oreo crust has smooth and creamy chocolate and of course oreo what’s not to love!
If you are a fan of simple and easy dessert recipes and also love chocolate this no-bake oreo chocolate mousse trifle is almost perfect for you! It has a base layer made of Oreo, topped with the mousse and finally finished with whipped cream.
Mousse is a French word for foam. So essentially this dessert has an airy texture. Traditionally whipped and foamy egg whites are used to incorporate light and airy texture.
In this eggless mousse recipe, I have used whipped cream that creates richer flavour and a slightly heavier texture. You can use Dairy-free whip toppings in this recipe if you want to avoid dairy.
What this chocolate Mousse is?
- Completely Eggless Chocolate Mousse
- 100% vegetarian
- No-gelatin mousse
- Agar-agar is used as a substitute for gelatine.
- Chocolate and Oreo taste heavenly.
Oreo: I used Oreo original vanilla flavour.
Agar-Agar: Agar-agar is a vegetarian substitute for gelatine. It gives this chocolate mousse a smooth, silky and creamy texture. There are a few things that you should keep in mind when you are using agar agar. I am going to share them in the recipe notes and tips section below.
Sugar: White sugar is used in making this mousse. It gives sweetness as well as texture and body to this eggless chocolate mousse.
Cocoa Powder: I used dark Dutch-process for intense chocolaty taste. You can use that or regular cocoa powder as per availability or preference.
Whipping Cream: To whip cream nicely use dairy cream with minimum 30% milk fat content. There are a few brands available you can check in the grocery store or supermarkets.
Vanilla extract: Preferably use vanilla extract and not vanilla essence. Chocolate and vanilla are a match made in heaven! It adds a nice flavour.
How to Make Chocolate Mousse
Watch Step by Step Video
Recipe Notes & Tips
- Use Oreo Original vanilla flavour. No other flavour works here because vanilla and chocolate are absolutely perfect with each other.
- When you are using agar agar as a vegetarian substitute for gelatine in any recipe. Use ½ the quantity of gelatine mentioned in that particular recipe.
- Unlike gelatine agar agar first needs to be dissolved in hot water.
- Agar agar remains gel-like even at room temperature. So you just need to chill the chocolate mousse for a short time. That is why the setting time for this oreo chocolate mousse is short and it stays stable after that.
- While whipping dairy cream make sure to chill your mixing bowl or use a chilling gel pad below the bowl in summers. It helps in whipping cream faster and a smooth texture.
- Whip the cream for soft peaks and foamy. We do not want stiff peaks here.
- Secret For light and airy eggless chocolate mousse
- Getting the right whipping cream is most important. The second most important thing you can do is whip the cream for 6-10minutes if you are using a hand blender or a stand mixer. With a regular whisk, it might take about 20 minutes.
- Use chilled cream and a chilled mixing bowl. It incorporates air and makes the texture of eggless mousse light and airy.
Store the mousse in individual Airtight containers. If you are using cups or shot glasses cover them snuggly with a cling film to make them airtight. It stays good in the fridge for 1 week. I have never stored in the freezer till now so I can’t comment here.
More Such Recipes
Eggless Chocolate Mousse
- hand blender
- 120 grams Oreo original Vanilla flavour
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- ½ teaspoon agar agar
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3 tablespoon boiling water
- ¼ cup sugar powdered
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup dark Cocoa powder
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ cup whipping cream for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Take Oreo original vanilla cream and open the packet. Take out 2-3 Oreo cookies and using the pulse function of the mixer grinder crush the cookies to a coarse powder.
- Mix 1tablespoon melted butter with crushed cookies and keep it aside.
- Next prepare agar agar. In a small bowl mix agar agar with cold water first. After 1 minute stir and add boiling water. Mix and stir till agar agar is completely mixed. Cool it slightly and keep it aside.
- In a bowl mix together sugar and cocoa in a medium bowl; add whipping cream and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed till scraping the bottom of the bowl mixture forms soft peaks.
- Pour in agar agar mixture; beat until well blended.
- Now in a bowl or small glass add half of the crushed Oreo butter mixture.
- Spoon in the cocoa powder and whipping cream mixture. Place this in the refrigerator to chill for a minimum one hour or more.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together ½ cup whipping cream and 2 tablespoon sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed till scraping the bottom of the bowl mixture forms soft peaks.
- Take out chilled Oreo chocolate mousse and top it with whipped cream. Sprinkle some crushed oreo over this and maybe a whole Oreo cookie to go with it.
- Make it today and enjoy!