Kaju curry Recipe. Kaju curry or cashew curry is rich Indian curry for party menu or special occasions. Vegan and and vegetarian recipe. Tastes best with Paratha or Naan.
Kaju curry is rich spicy Indian curry that is quick and easy to cook but still taste like one of the best curries. There are 2-3 versions of Kaju curry. One is North Indian style Kaju curry that I am sharing in the recipe. Second version is almost similar but in that version of curry roasted cashew are used instead of soaked ones which I have used in this recipe.
Third version is completely different in taste profile and the curry is Goan style Cashew curry that is made using special spice blend from Goan cuisine.
Coming back to this North Indian style Kaju curry, I have used soaked cashew nuts which are soaked in salted water for few hours. It is strongly recommended to soak the cashews in salted water so that cashew are not bland when you cook them with gravy.
I have tried cashew curry which was made with roasted cashew/kaju but each time I found that gravy was good but when eating cashews in gravy the taste was almost bland. I feel even if you are making curry with roasted cashew simmer the curry for extra 20 minutes and add little extra water so that cashew/kaju can soak some flavour and salt from the red gravy.
This is typical Dhaba style Kaju curry recipe except I added lesser oil and skipped butter and richness of the gravy comes from cashew paste that I added to finish the kaju curry. It helps to cut the oily after taste that comes after eating a super rich oily curries that are served in dhaba.
Since this is not a curry that I cook in everyday meals so to make it even more tasty I usually serve it with Paratha or Naan. If you are looking for more rich Indian curries, you can try this paneer kofta curry, Malai Soya Chaap curry or most favorite curry of mine Matar Paneer.
So next time if you are searching a vegetarian curry recipe for party that is not paneer you can try this cashew curry recipe.
Kaju Curry Recipe Video in Hindi
HAVE YOU TRIED THE KAJU CURRY RECIPE ?
If you cook this recipe of Cashew Curry and find it helpful, please do share it on your facebook, twitter or pin it on Pinterest this may help others too. It keeps me motivated to write more, and share more of my recipes with you all.
- 200 g cashew kaju
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon Ginger Green Chilli Paste
- 200 g onion grind into paste
- 3 Tomatoes pureed
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Cashew paste
- leaves coriander for garnish
- Soak cashews in salt water for 5-6 hours.
- When ready to cook gravy, heat oil in the pan and add bay leaf followed by ginger green chilli paste. If you are using garlic you can add garlic paste as well.
- Add onion paste and saute everything till onion start to look light brown in colour.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt to taste and garam masala powder.
- Cook for a minute and add fresh tomato puree. Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir in between.
- Now add in 3tbsp of readymade tomato puree which makes the curry taste and look even better.
- Cook till masala starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Add 2-3Tbsp of water and add soaked cashews in the curry.
- Stir to combine well and add water in the pan to achieve your desired consistency of the gravy.
- Bring it to boil and add cashew paste. Stir and cook for 2-3more minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with chapati, paratha.