Paneer Kali mirch or Paneer pepper masala recipe. 20 minutes quick Paneer recipe perfect for Indian weeknight dinner.
Creamy paneer Aka Indian cottage cheese tossed in a delicious masala cooked with freshly ground black pepper. Serve this with naan, rice, chapati, dosa, sandwich filling or as Paneer pepper masala wrap. Possibilities with this tasty paneer recipes are many.
Paneer pepper masala is perfect for dinner TONIGHT! I am a staunch advocate of meal preps, but with this paneer recipe, You really do not need much pre-prep as it is one of simplest 20 Minutes recipe you can make.
This delicious cottage cheese recipe is another collection to my 20 minute-Paneer Recipes.
Paneer in any form is so much easy to cook. Just give it any flavour and paneer absorbs it perfectly just like a sponge or a blank canvas! As usual, you can use store bought paneer or make the soft homemade paneer with my recipe.
Some of you asked me in the comments that you guys love to see more of my 20 minutes paneer curry recipes. So here I am with this south Indian style Paneer kali mirch or paneer pepper masala.
How to Make Paneer Kali Mirch
I have used two main ingredients to add flavours to this paneer recipe. The warm taste of Kali mirch or black pepper and curry leaves. So if you are not a great fan of a tomato-based paneer gravy or want a change this is paneer recipe for you.
Ingredients you need
Paneer/ Indian cottage cheese (homemade or store bought)
Spices and Seasonings: Turmeric Powder, Kashmiri Lal Mirch Powder, Salt, Cumin Seeds, Cinnamon, Pepper Powder, Coriander Powder
Fresh: Ginger-garlic paste, Lime Juice, Onion, Green Chilies, Curry Leaves, Coriander Leaves
Vegetable Oil/ canola oil
How To Make It? Stepwise Method
Cut paneer into cubes. Then take a bowl and put the paneer cubes in it. [photo 1]
Add ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder, half a teaspoon of Kashmiri Lal Mirch powder and a teaspoon of ginger garlic paste, lime juice. Add salt to taste and mix them well. [photo 2,3]
After mixing all the ingredients, refrigerate for an hour. (however this is optional) you can make it directly if you are in a hurry. [photo 4]
Heat oil in a pan. When the oil starts to heat add cumin seeds, cinnamon and cubed red onions. [photo5,6 ]
Then add chopped green chilies and some curry leaves on it. Saute' till the onion becomes soft and changes its color to golden brown. [photo1 ]
When the onions are soft add freshly cracked pepper powder and coriander powder. [photo2]
Now, take out the refrigerated paneer cubes and add it in the pan. Now, mix the paneer with the ingredients and cook it for a minute. [photo 3]
Add 4 tablespoons of water and mix it well. Cover the pan with a lid and then cook it for another 3-4 minutes. [photo 4, 5 ]
add coriander leaves and cook all the ingredients for another minute. [photo 6]
Switch off the heat and serve the paneer pepper masala hot.
Paneer Pepper Masala Recipe Video
I strongly recommend to watch the video for exact texture at every step of the recipe. Especially if you are beginner cook or new to Indian cuisine.
Recipe Notes-Paneer Pepper Masala
- Soft homemade paneer is always the best.
- Always marinate the paneer for more flavour and soft texture.
What to Serve with Paneer Kali Mirch
You can serve it with laccha paratha or a Malabar parrota or dosa with equal ease. It tastes absolutely delicious any which way. Maybe even make a sandwich filling out of it if you have extra! I have even made cutlets with it as a central ingredient.
More Such Recipes
If you like this paneer recipes do try my other paneer recipes like
Methi Malai Paneer
Punjabi Matar Paneer
Paneer Pepper Masala | Paneer Kali Mirch
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ½ inch Cinnamon
- ¼ cup Onion chopped
- 2 Green Chilies chopped
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Pepper Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 4 tablespoon Water
- Coriander Leaves
For Marinated Paneer
- 200 gms Paneer Cubes
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ Kashmiri Lal Mirch Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ginger-garlic paste
- 2 teaspoon Lime Juice
- Salt to taste
How To Marinate Paneer
- Cut 200 gms of paneer in square cubes. Then take a bowl and put the paneer cubes in it.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder, half a teaspoon of Kashmiri Lal Mirch powder and a teaspoon of ginger garlic paste.
- Squeeze around 2 teaspoons of lime juice in a small bowl and then pour them in the bowl. You can directly squeeze the lime on the cottage cheese/paneer as well.
- Add salt to taste and mix them well. After mixing all the ingredients refrigerate for an hour.
How To Make The Gravy
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan. When the oil starts to heat add a teaspoon of cumin seeds, half an inch of cinnamon and ¼ cup of cubed red onions.
- Then add chopped green chilies and some curry leaves on it.
- Saute till the onion becomes soft and changes its color to golden brown.
- When the onions are soft add a teaspoon of pepper powder and a teaspoon of coriander powder respectively.
- Now, take out the refrigerated paneer cubes and add it in the pan. Now, mix the paneer with the ingredients and cook it for a minute.
- Add 4 tablespoons of water and mix it well. When the ingredients are mixed well cover the pan with a lid and then cook it for another 3-4 minutes.
- Now, sprinkle some green coriander leaves for flavors and cook all the ingredients for another minute.
- Switch off the heat and serve the paneer pepper masala hot with jeera rice.
Paneer Recipes are the best.
I am going to cook this recipe tonight, hope it turns out great.
I love this website, all the recipes are so simple and easy to cook. Paneer is my favorite.
Rekha Kakkar, it is very thoughtful of you to share this recipe here. It is a simple recipe and suits vegetarians and non-vegetarians equally. I also loved the images you have shared alongwith the post. Keep penning most such recipes and share it with readers to inspire them to cook.