Paneer ghee roast is mangalore style ghee roast recipe adapted from very popular Mangalore chicken ghee roast recipe. A rich and hearty paneer ghee roast can be made dry to serve as an appetiser, semi dry or with gravy to serve as main dish.
Paneer ghee roast is fiery red spicy preparation which can be served with Dosa, chapati or paratha. If you are a vegetarian, and still want to enjoy the famous spicy ghee roast from Mangalore cuisine, the paneer is ideal base to soak up all the flavours of spices.
For making Paneer ghee roast, marinated paneer is roasted in ghee/clarified butter with freshly made ghee roast masala. I made the Ghee roast masala is made by warming and dry roasting the aromatic spices. Dry roasting gives it a beautiful fiery red color and a distinct taste to the Paneer ghee roast.
This dish can become spicy if you are not careful with type of chillies used. I used less amount than it is used traditionally because it could easily become really really hot. Be careful to use chillies with less amount of heat if you are not used to of spicy food. The real taste of the dish comes from the ghee and roasting the paneer with roast masala. However when ever you are cooking paneer, make sure not to over cook it as it can really become rubbery fairly quickly.
Also, this recipe of Mangalore style paneer ghee roast can be used exactly for cauliflowers, tofu or mushrooms too. One thing I changed is instead of adding curry leaves while cooking the curry. I fried the curry leaves and used them as garnish. The crispy bits of curry leaves with spicy hot paneer tastes absolutely delicious.
If you love paneer curries you can check out other delicious Paneer curries too. Paneer Kofta Curry, Paneer Tikka Masala, Aloo Matar Paneer , Methi Malai Paneer, Paneer Butter Masala, Paneer Koki , Matar Paneer, Makhmali Paneer and many Paneer Recipes from my tasty curry.
Paneer Ghee Roast Recipe in Hindi
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS PANEER GHEE ROAST RECIPE ?
If you cook this recipe of Kadai Paneer and find it helpful, please do share it on your facebook, twitter or pin it on Pinterest this may help others too. Also, it keeps me motivated to write more and share more of my recipes with you all.
- 400 g paneer
- 5 Dry Chilies
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon 1pc
- 1-2 green cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds methi dana
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 1 Onion medium size finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Yogurt / Curd
- Curry Leaves for Garnish
- In a mixing bowl take curd/yogurt turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Cut the paneer into big cubes and marinate these paneer cubes for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Now in a pan and dry roast , coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon, green cardamom and dry red chilli.
- Allow it to cool down and grind to a coarse mix.
- Now heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan and add chopped onion. Cook it for 3-4 minutes till onion turns light pink.
- Add ground masala in the pan followed by marinated paneer.
- Cook it for 7-8 minutes while stirring it in-between.
- Switch off the heat.
- Now in another pan heat one tbsp of ghee and add curry leaves. Fry them till crisp.
- Serve the semi dry paneer ghee roast masala in a bowl and garnish with crispy fried curry leaves.