Hot and spicy Thai red curry noodle soup ‘as you get’ on the streets of Bangkok. A perfect one-pot meal, the taste of Thai red curry in an aromatic coconut curry soup with rice noodles lingers for a long time. Better than Thai takeout this is A perfect noodle soup which is simple and easy to make even on weeknights.
This is a variation of vegetarian pad thai noodles. These silken rice noodles twirled with small bites of veggies, fragrant with the smooth and authentic flavour of red Thai curry, is captivating. Making these Thai noodles become effortless when you have homemade Thai red curry paste from the fridge. You can also make the curry noodle soup with Thai green curry base.
The range of street food in Thailand is just jaw-dropping. If you are a fan of seafood, it is officially your place to go gaga over. I prefer eating vegetarian food, so I incorporate the best and basics of the Thai cuisine to make my vegetarian pad thai noodles. My love affair with Thai cuisine deepened further after I received an authentic that red curry paste after a friend visited Thailand.
Since I am a vegetarian, he specifically asked for a Thai red curry paste without fish sauce or oyster sauce. I tasted a bit of it right from the jar and my mind started dissecting the possible ingredients and flavours which went into the paste. An amazing thing about the Thai curry pastes (red curry paste, green curry paste and yellow curry paste) was it tasted very fresh and aromatic. What followed were all these Thai recipes on MTC.
Originally thinner rice noodles are used in making this Noodles &Co style noodles. But I had these Pad Thai noodles so I used these. In case you want to try green curry Pad Thai noodles, they are just so good that you keep craving them long after you have eaten a bowl. No exaggerating here :D. Thai noodles are made with rice, as rice is staple Thai food.
For making red Thai curry base, I have used my coconut curry soup base. The soup base can be made with coconut milk and either of red curry paste or green curry paste as per your preference. Both taste different, but curry noodle bowl tastes absolutely delicious in both the recipes. I have used vegetables in the soup because I wanted to make a vegetarian version. You can go ahead and use chicken as well if you wish to. If you like you can add tofu, paneer chunks or shrimps to this recipe. It is really your choice of the ingredients.
I sometimes like to add vegetable broth to this recipe to make it more soupy. Other days you can just stir fry these noodles and have soup as an accompaniment to it. The best part about cooking your own meals is you get to be fun and creative with your choice of food.
I have put up the recipes of red Thai curry paste and Thai green curry paste on MTC, you can use them to make Thai curries or noodles as this red Thai curry noodles or a simple veggie stir-fry.
Recipe Notes for making Thai Red Curry Noodle
- To deepen the orange hue of the red curry base for noodles, always add a tablespoon of tomato paste.
- If you cook vegetables first with a little bit of coconut milk till it reduces and releases some coconut oil, you get a deeper coconut flavour and lovely speckles of coconut oil in curry noodles.
- Do not overcook the veggies let them remain crunchy.
- You can use the available cabbage if you do not have purple cabbage.
- Other than vegetables you can add Tofu, Boiled eggs, mushrooms etc.
- There is already salt in Thai curry paste, checking before adding more is always a good is a good idea.
Watch Video Recipe Thai Red Curry Noodles Soup
Thai red curry noodle Soup
- 2 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 300 ml Coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced( adrak)
- 1/4 cup Onion finely chopped
- 1/5 cup Red bell pepper chopped
- 1/5 cup Beans chopped
- 1/4 cup broccoli cut in small florets
- 1/4 cup Purple cabbage for garnishing
- Lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Crushed Peanuts for garnishing
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
Heat oil in a pan on medium flame, add ginger and onion and stir for a minute or so.
Add red bell peppers, beans and broccoli and saute them for 3-4 minutes.
Put the red thai curry paste, tomato paste and mix well.
Add 3-4tbsp coconut milk, and cook for few minutes till it reduces.
Add remaining coconut milk and cook the veggies for 3-4 minutes.
Now add in the rice noodles and switch off the heat.
Remove from heat, garnish with shredded purple cabbage, crushed peanuts, and coriander leaves.
Add a generous squeeze of lime juice just before serving and enjoy it warm.