Paneer bhurji recipe is one of quick, delicious and one of the best paneer gravy recipe from North India. For making this paneer dish recipe, Paneer is cooked in onion, garam masala and other spices.
I make a variety of paneer bhurji recipes or scrambled Indian cottage cheese. Will talk about all of them in detail below. But here is how to make Paneer bhurji with lots of vegetables.
I always try to combine healthy and delicious in one dish. This one is healthier and tastier than regular bhurji recipe. The English name for dish is scrambled Indian cottage cheese and Paneer bhurji in Hindi.
Basically it is very simple and easy paneer recipe. You do not require too many masalas or spice mixes. Just few basic spices and a handful of ingredients are enough to make this semi-dry paneer gravy dish. You can also make paneer bhurji like this or Amritsari paneer bhurji too.
My Niece who loves this bhurji and is a non veg lover often calls it Panner Veggie keema. Call it whatever But I can tell you if you try it once you will love this one.
How To make Paneer Bhurji Gravy
All it takes is 15-20 minutes to whip up this quick scrambled cottage cheese dish. It is a quick vegetarian substitution for egg bhurji in any vegetarian menu. To make any paneer dish for vegans the obvious choice if Tofu in place of paneer.
To give a richer and nutty taste I make this bhurji in ghee. You can always use oil if you don’t like ghee. To finish this I prefer to add a tablespoon of butter. A combination of ghee and butter makes it taste super delicious. But as usual you can use any oil as per your preference.
Tips to Make Dhaba style Best Paneer Bhurji at Home
- For any paneer dish, my first tip is to always use best paneer you can lay your hands on.
- I use my own homemade malai paneer for making paneer bhurji.
- Adjust the consistency of gravy to your preference by adjusting the quantity of water.
- Make a gravy first and then add paneer, Never overcook paneer to make paneer gravy.
- You can add vegetables as per your choice, or make it with out veggies. I am leaving the recipe link for dry paneer bhurji below.
- Other than the recipe of Paneer bhurji I have shown in the step by step video, you can add tomato paste to give more body to the gravy.
Is Paneer Healthy or Nutrition in Paneer?
Well that is always a tricky question. It depends on how you cook paneer or what ingredients you use alongside in any paneer dish. But as a stand alone ingredient Paneer is good source of Protein and calcium.
It also has good amount of fats too. On the plus side, it keeps you satiated for longer time. But If you are looking for low fat paneer recipes, first thing you need to do is use skim milk for making paneer.
A lot of Indian Keto Vegetarians menu plans have paneer or some sort of cheese included. It is gluten-free, and Low value in Glycemic index so a great option for diabetics too.
Variations In Paneer Bhurji
- Vegetables Paneer Bhurji - Use any vegetable of your choice before adding crumbled paneer. Like I made in this video recipe.
- Amritsari Paneer Bhurji - The gravy for this bhurji recipe is made in completely different style. Amritsari Bhurji Recipe.
- Dry Paneer Bhurji- This is quickest bhurji recipe of them all. All you need is saute some onions add grated paneer with basic spices and you are done.
- Palak Paneer bhurji- You just add chopped spinach in dry paneer bhurji recipe.
- Matar Paneer Bhurji- This again is variation of dry recipe, just add fresh or frozen peas in place of spinach.
How To Serve Paneer Bhurji
- Serve it with Phulka, Roti, crisp paratha, Naan , Kulcha or any other bread of your choice this quick paneer dish is delightful and delicious.
- You can serve in Kids lunch box as paratha roll. Or make a bhurji paratha combination.
- Make a bhurji sandwich or top it over crisp butter toast with a good sprinkle of bhujia.
Also, Here Are Some Of The Best Paneer Dishes You Might Like To Try
Paneer Butter Masala
Methi Malai Paneer
Paneer Do Pyaza
No onion No Garlic Matar Paneer
Paneer Ghee Roast
How To Make Paneer Bhurji Recipe – Step By Step
Heat ghee in a pan .
When Ghee is hot and cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
When cumin seeds start to pop add chopped onion and saute them till they turn light pink and translucent.
Then add grated ginger or ginger garlic paste as per your preference.
Saute for a minute and then add finely diced carrots, capsicum and shelled peas.
Fry on high heat for 6-7minutes until vegetables are soft. Sprinkle a tablespoon of water if required.
Add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, turmeric and salt to taste.
After vegetables are cooked add fresh tomato puree.
Cook masala on medium heat till it starts to release ghee.
Cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.Occasionally stir it to prevent striking or burning at bottom of pan.
Now add ½ cup water and bring it to quick boil and add grated paneer. Cook further for 2-3 minutes.
Add freshly chopped coriander and mix well.
Switch off the heat and finish this with a tablespoon of butter.
Serve the paneer bhurji gravy topped with a squeeze of lemon juice and ginger juliennes.
Watch step by step Video
Paneer Bhurji Gravy
- Non-Stick Pan (US)
- 200 grams paneer / cottage cheese grated or crumbled
- ½ cup onions finely chopped
- 1 cup Tomatoes Puree puree
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste/grated
- ¼ cup Capsicum finely diced
- ¼ cup carrot finely diced
- 2 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon lemon Juice of
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves for garnish
- 15 grams Ginger to garnish
how to make paneer bhurji recipe
- In a pan heat ghee and add cumin seeds, allow it to crackle.
- Then, add grated ginger and fry for a minute or until raw smell goes off
- Add finely chopped onions and fry for 2-3 minutes until onions are light pink and soft.
- Add finely diced carrots, capsicum, and peas. Saute for few minutes till veggies are soft.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, turmeric, salt to taste and cook for a minute.
- Add fresh tomato puree, cover and cook for 5-6 minutes until masala is fully cooked
- Then, add grated paneer mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Finally, add chopped coriander and mix, Finish with a tablespoon of butter and mix it well.
- Paneer Bhurji is ready to be served.
Leave me your feedback here please