The entirely-made-in-one-pot Paneer Butter masala tastes AMAZING! I just can’t seem to get over how outrageously delicious it is. I am sharing an easy and quick paneer butter masala recipe.
This buttery, creamy, velvety smooth tangy aromatic tomato gravy with tender paneer (cottage cheese) to scoop up with tandoori roti, Naan, Paratha or jeera rice is an authentic recipe that tastes better than Restaurant style butter paneer, If I may say so! I made from scratch and placed it right into my bowl! *oh yeah*
If you are a true paneer lover, you would feel my level of happiness when I first made Paneer Makhani that tasted just like straight out of a fancy restaurant! 😀
The tomato gravy that I cooked in fresh cream, butter and a handful of aromatic spices and tender paneer (cottage cheese) pieces is the only thing you need to note down right now. The fact that you have only to clean just one pot after making this Butter Paneer Recipe just an added exciting thing! Plus if it is Low carb, Low GI and keto paneer recipe if that's your thing.
We all know that butter paneer and Palak Paneer are most popular paneer recipe for all Indian food lovers. So, food lovers, brace yourself! And, take out your apron and read on the step-by-step process of this One pot Easy restaurant style Butter Paneer recipe.
How to Make Paneer Butter Masala
Paneer Makhani or Butter Paneer is a perfect buttery and creamy dish infused with the goodness of cottage cheese and is a star dish at any dinner table. A lot of butter and cream is used to make this rich buttery velvety paneer gravy dish. That's why it is known as butter paneer or paneer makhani. If you want to make that restaurant style Paneer makhani, you should never skimp on butter or cream.
The secret of any good paneer makhani recipe is it's velvety smooth gravy, in Hindi, the velvety texture is often referred as "smooth as makhan/butter" hence another reason to name this delicious paneer recipe as makhani. Another thing to make best paneer makhani recipe is the spices.
I feel too much spice kills the paneer gravies. The right balance of spice is a must. It is delicately spiced so I just use my homemade paneer spice mix and kasuri methi other than few basic spices to add that characteristic flavour of butter paneer.
Be it Shahi Paneer or Paneer Makhani I can forever make these mouth-watering paneer recipes and gobble them first chance. Since, Paneer Butter Masala has a slightly sweet and tangy taste and can also be eaten as a leftover I had them for a quick breakfast as well. I have been known to make paneer butter masala biryani, use it to make butter masala pizza, or even paneer butter sandwich 😛
Butter Paneer or Paneer Makhani is almost no fail recipe. Trust me, it's coming from someone who finds a way to add a healthy twist in any recipe. I have even a healthier version of Butter paneer masala on the blog 🙂
Even if you are not a fan of paneer you would still want to taste this luscious creamy and oh-so-buttery recipe once in a lifetime. It is that irresistible and versatile!
Also, you can eat this paneer dish with any bread you can get your hands on or jeera pulao if you will. Be it Butter Naan, stuffed Paratha or Amritsari Kulcha I can eat paneer butter masala with almost anything. There are times I scoop this spoonful of creaminess when I am too impatient for even the Kulcha to grill. :p
Paneer Makhani is also popularly known as Paneer Butter Masala. In truth, the only difference between Paneer Makhani and Paneer Butter Masala is the dash of onion. Yes, traditionally butter paneer is cooked without onion but I have added the little twist in this recipe by including the crunchy sliced onions.
On countless occasions when I am bored with my regular salad days I take out the slab of paneer and my worries are gone. Since I use fresh homemade Paneer/cottage cheese for most paneer recipes, I always keep some in my refrigerator for my meal prep days. You can learn how to make fresh paneer at home and sort out your life with Meal Prep as well.
Meal Prep and Cottage Cheese/paneer have been my saviour since forever. Right from those warm weekend parties to easy instant recipes for family dinner, paneer recipes are always the first choice for vegetarians. They are so easy to make, delectable and so versatile. The other day when I made Shahi paneer recipe for dinner, it was an instant hit in my family.
If you love paneer recipes, I am sure you will definitely fall in love with this crazy list of Best Paneer Recipes that will win your heart. So, now that you know how much I love paneer lets talk about Butter Paneer Masala. There is no surprise that it is incredibly lip-smacking delicious.
The recipe has light flavours of spices, tangy red tomatoes and sweetness from the onion. And, let's be honest butter and cream makes it tasty too and gives it a smooth texture. You will absolutely love the buttery smooth gravy too.
There is nothing that can be compared to the aroma of Butter Paneer that is nicely infused in tender soft and creamy paneer. Instead of the regular cashew, you can also use melon seeds and almonds while making the gravy.
You can make the restaurant style Butter paneer at home by following the easy step-by-step process. Also here are a few tips you can follow while making the creamy paneer recipe.
How To Make Butter Paneer Recipe
- Homemade fresh paneer is best for making any paneer recipe. Believe me, you can make the best creamy paneer at home.
- Since Butter Paneer is an onion tomato based gravy and is the key ingredient in our recipe, always try to use fresh, ripe and firm tomatoes for making the makhani sauce.
- The second most important point to remember while making Paneer Makhani is to saute the tomatoes well. Saute the tomatoes until the oil/ butter leave the side of the tomato paste, this way you will not taste the raw flavour of tomatoes while gobbling down the dish.
- To make the gravy smooth and velvety always grind and then strain the masala paste. This way all the lumps will be strained from the paneer butter masala gravy.
- You can make this makhani sauce in advance and store in fridge/freezer and add paneer and cream when you are ready to serve it. I always have these masala pastes/gravies ready during the meal preps.
MORE RECIPES TO TRY
If you love paneer recipes, you can check out other recipes below
Restaurant Style Paneer Butter Masala - Butter Paneer - Paneer Makhani
- 300 grams paneer
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 Onion
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Ginger-garlic Paste
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 2 tablespoon melon seeds deseeded magaj
- 10 Almonds
- 20 grams Butter
- ¼ cup cream
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- ½ cup Milk
- 2 tablespoon Water
- Kasuri Methi
- 1 bay leaf
- Cut paneer/Indian cottage cheese into 1 inch small pieces. Keep them aside and prepare to make the gravy for the butter paneer.
- Since, butter paneer or paneer makhani is a one-pot recipe we will use just one pot in it. We will start by taking a pot and turn on the heat, now we will add 1 tablespoon of oil in the pot and allow it to heat.
- To make the creamy sauce add sliced onion and bay leaf in the pan when the oil is hot. Stir the onion slices and cook it until the color of the onion turns to golden brown.
- When the onion is translucent in color we will add 3 chopped tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of ginger-garlic paste in it. We will not stir and cook the tomatoes until they are soft and pulpy. Or you can directly add these tomatoes as fresh tomato puree'
- When the tomatoes are soft and cooked we will add half a teaspoon of turmeric, red chilies and cumin powder in it respectively.
- Since we are adding our little twist we will add 2 tablespoon of melon seeds (magaj) and 10 almonds in the mix as well. Now, we will cook all the spices along with the melon and the almond seeds. We will keep stirring until they are cooked properly.
- Since we are making Paneer Makhani we will add 20 grams of butter and cook it for another 4-5 minutes. When the butter is well melted in the gravy we will add ¼ cup of cooking cream in it and cook the same for another 2 minutes.
- Now, we will add a teaspoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of makhani masala or garam masala in it. (You can also add garam masala if makhani masala is not available.)
- We will let the gravy cook for another 2 minutes and then add ½ cup of milk and cook it for 1 more minute.
- After that we will take the puree/gravy in a blender and blend it. After the gravy is blended we will strain it . (We strain the gravy so that it becomes smooth and free from any lumps)
- After the strain bring it back to the pan and add 1 tablespoon of fresh cream in it. (If you want you can adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding 1 tablespoon of water in it)
- Lastly, we will add the fresh paneer/ cottage cheese pieces and cover and cook the paneer butter masala for another 3-4 minutes. After 4 minutes just turn off the heat finish the delicious dish by sprinkling some kasuri methi in it.
- You can serve butter paneer masala with butter naan or jeera rice.