Punjabi Dal Palak is smoky spicy and super healthy dal recipe. Also known as spinach dal the dal palak recipe is easy way to include healthy in everyday meals. You can serve the dal as dal rice or dal chapati meal, it tastes great any which way. This makes Perfect vegan low GI , healthy weeknight dinner.
Dals or lentil soups as they are known in western world are essential items in most of the Indian cuisine. Though method of preparing (mostly tempting is different) in different regions of India but its there in some form or other. Some of the popular Indian dal recipes are yellow moong dal, Sabut moong dal dal fry chana dal, Healthier Dal Makhani, Arhar dal and Masoor dal .
In punjabi homes our dinners are hardly considered complete without that essential bowl of dal tadka (Punjabi Dal recipes). I have changed the dinner habit of eating Dal to lunch, mostly because dal takes little longer to digest. The common wisdom says that dinner should be a light meal, so I try to keep it that way as far as possible.
This Punjabi Dal palak recipe is usually made with moong dal (split moong dal) and palak (spinach). Most Punjabi dal recipes involve tadka of onion tomato and ginger garam masala, but tadka for this moong dal palak is slightly different and very simple. Also, I like to add a slight variation in terms of dal used. I add a very small portion of toor dal/arhar dal and chana dal/gram dal in the recipe. This enhances the taste considerably.
Instant Pot Spinach Dal
Usually, in Indian households, the dal palak/spinach dal is made in a pressure cooker, but you can make dal palak in the Instant pot as well. I am adding instant pot spinach dal recipe in recipe note section. Be sure to read it if you want to make dal recipe in an Instant Pot.
Nutrition in Spinach dal or Dal Palak
Since it is made with lentils and vegetables that make it quite healthy meal option. Dal palak is gluten-free naturally and low GI recipe and suitable for diabetics. So next time you are up for something delicious and healthy look up for this Indian dal recipe. You can enjoy it as a soup or Dal chawal for a wholesome hearty meal. It tastes great with chapathi or naan.
I keep getting many questions regarding not been able to cook proper Indian meal because of lack of time. I suggest going through (Indian Meal Planning Section) where I keep sharing various articles and tips on How to plan your Indian meals for every day. Being working women I myself plan ahead so that I and my family can enjoy healthy home cooked meals all the time. All you need is a little bit of meal preparation in advance.
Meal Prep for the Dal Palak
You can wash dal and clean and chop spinach and tomato, grated ginger previous night and keep it in the fridge. This will even reduce the cooking time since dals will be nicely soaked till morning. Next day all you have to do is pressure cook takes two minutes to take it out of the refrigerator and place it on the heat.
The tadka for dal palak is easy and takes another 2 minutes. SO effective time in the morning is 4-5 minutes only. If you want to try other Dal recipes you can try this Punjabi whole moong dal, Dhuli Moong dal yellow, Langar wali Mah chane ki Dal, Arhar ki dal , whole masoor dal and healthier Dal makhani.
How to Freeze Dal Palak
Dals are an extremely freezer friendly meal. Dal palak can be frozen as it is. Make sure to use a glass container which is freezer friendly and microwave friendly. While serving you can just take it out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator for few hours and reheat as usual. Only thing dal will taste better and creamier this way.
You can freeze dal palak for up to 6-8 weeks in the freezer so make sure to mark the date of storage. If you are making a batch specifically for freezing you can cook it till 75% done and then now need to thaw that and just microwave the container and you have with yourself an incredibly delicious and healthy meal within no time.
If you tried this recipe please let me know how it came out! You can leave your feedback in a comment below and share a picture on Instagram, facebook or twitter with the hashtag #MyTastyCurry. In case you plan to cook it later you can pin it on pinterest. Do take out a minute to rate the recipe and let me know your feedback.
If you like this recipe feel free to share it on Facebook and WhatsApp and leave us your comments below. We love listening to your feedback! You can Subscribe to Our WhatsApp Recipe broadcast for Free by saving “mytastycurry” in your contact list and sending Subscribe on 91-8368756817
Punjabi Dal Palak Recipe - How to make Punjabi Dal Palak
- 100 g moong dal split
- 25 g Yellow pigeon pea dal Toor Dal
- 25 g chana dal
- 100 g tomato chopped
- 250 g spinach chopped and cleaned/washed
- 2 green chillies chopped optional
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 pinch asafoetida hing
- 1 Dried Red chilli
- 1tsp Red chilli powder Coarsely ground chilli powder
- In a pressure cooker, add washed and soaked dals, spinach, grated ginger and 2.5 cups of water. Also add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, chopped green chilli and a teaspoon of Kashmiri red chilli powder.
- Now pressure cook it for 2-3 whistles or 15-20 minutes depending on quantity and your pressure cooker. Allow the pressure cooker to cool naturally.
- Open the pressure cooker and heat 1bsp ghee in a tadka pan, add a pinch of asafoetida/hing and 1tsp red chilli powder and dried red chilli.
- Immediately transfer this hot tadka over simmering dal and palak. Mix well and serve it hot with chapati/phulka/paratha or rice .
How to Make Instant Pot Dal Palak /Spinach dal
- Heat ghee in the saute mode and add grated ginger, a pinch of asafoetida/ hing (optional) chopped green chilli, chopped tomato, and sauce them for 3-4 minutes on low.
- Now add the spinach and washed dal along with salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and water.
- Cover it with lid and switch on the pressure cooking mode and pressure cook on low for 15 minutes.
- Allow the instant pot to cool naturally till pressure escapes and its ready to serve.
- For smokiness you can heat a tbsp go ghee/oil and then switch off the heat and add 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder and immediately add it to cook dal.