Roasted Corn Salad is easy to make a salad with zesty, bright and fresh flavours. This corn salad makes the best side dish for summer potlucks or BBQs. Fresh corn with creamy avocado and juicy tomatoes brings out the best flavours and it is healthy to the core!
This Tex Mex style roasted corn salad or grilled corn salad recipe has two parts. First is roasting corn and second is making Roasted corn salad with Feta and avocados.
This Salad is inspired by Mexican corn on the cob, which is served with crumbly cheese. Well, this salad is Elotes meets Esquites.
Esquites is corn salad with a mayonnaise dressing. I wanted to skip mayonnaise so I made roasted corn salad without mayonnaise. I add avocado for the creaminess and good fats instead of mayonnaise.
This Roasted Corn Salad with Avocados is:
- A fresh and brightly flavoured corn dish with Latin flavours.
- It is completely vegetarian.
- You can enjoy this as a side dish, salad or salsa
- You can make it in advance ahead of time.
- Great for serving in summer parties, barbecues or bring into the Potluck picnics
Ingredients for Roasted Corn Salad
The ingredients for making this Esquite salad without mayonnaise are:
Fresh corn: I fire-roasted the corn on the Cob and then cut the corn kernels when it was slightly cooled down.
Red pepper: To add heat if you can’t find it you can use chopped jalapeño.
Cherry tomatoes: (cut into halves)
Kidney beans: I use kidney beans that are boiled, cooled and drained. You can use canned kidney beans if you like.
lime juice or lemon juice
Seasonings: Black pepper, salt, Red chilli flakes
Cotija cheese: If you can’t find it you can use crumbled feta or queso fresco.
Optional: I use a few other ingredients to make this Mexican style Roasted corn salad.
- Mayonnaise or Sour cream
- Scallions or Red onions
Step by Step Recipe Video
How to Make Roasted Corn or Grilled corn
This particular corn salad is either made with grilled corn or fire-roasted corn. I like to make it roasted corn because roasting brings out the best flavour. If you prefer grilling over fire roasting go for it because any dish tastes best if it is of your liking.
Personalising and cooking as per your taste preference is the main advantage of homecoming. So adapt it to suit your taste.
I simply de-husk the fresh corn Cob and cook it on direct flame over a stovetop. You can apply some butter or olive oil on corn and place it on the grill in your oven or outside grill and grill it.
Once the corn is roasted or grilled and slightly cooled to handle, with a knife cut off the corn kernels. After this, I mix it with other ingredients and a simple lime dressing to make roasted corn salad that you can enjoy as it is or serve with other multiple options as a side dish.
Dressing for Corn Salad
I like to make this dressing with fresh lime juice. Sometimes I add a dash of honey to sweeten the dressing a bit and it gives us refreshing and fresh sweet salty and spicy flavour.
If you are serving the salad immediately add the dressing immediately. If like me you are making it ahead of time keep the ingredients and the dressing separately. Toss to combine them when you are ready to serve.
I mostly pack it in my lunchbox, salt and lime juice can make veggies and tomatoes release juices and it may go limp. So, I pack the salad and the dressing in the separate containers.
What to Serve with Roasted Corn Salad
I usually serve chopped up boiled eggs to add proteins. Sometimes I also serve this as a Tex Mex style corn salsa with Chips as a starter or appetiser.
You can also enjoy this as a side with Enchiladas, Tacos or Mexican rice.
More Corn Recipes to Try
More Such Recipes You Can Try
Roasted Corn Salad
- Mixing bowl
- Salad mixing spoons
- 1 cups corn roasted and cut from the cob
- 1 red pepper chopped
- ¼ cup tomatoes cut into halves
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 cucumber chopped
- 1 cup Kidney beans boiled and drained
- ½ avocado chopped
- 2 tablespoon lime juice from about 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper ground
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cotija cheese or feta, crumbled.
- On Open fire roast the corn on the cob. I used 2 medium-sized corns here. You can grill the corn over a grill if you like.
- Cut the corn off the cob once it slightly cools down.
- Now in a mixing bowl add chopped cucumbers, roasted corn, cherry tomatoes cut into halves, chopped avocados, kidney beans and sliced red peppers for mild heat and cilantro or coriander leaves for freshest flavours.
- Now in a bowl add lime juice and salt. Add scallion mayonnaise or sour cream if using ( I skipped to make it very healthy)
- Stir and toss everything together until well combined.
- Add salt to taste and black pepper as per your taste.
- To serve garnish with crumbled feta cheese and Enjoy!