Rose Sharbat is a healthy homemade drink for summer. An easy summer drink to provide hydration during the heatwave this is easily one of the most refreshing summer drink to stay cool.
In Persia a variation of this is known as Tokhme Sharbati and in India it is known as Sabja Rose Sharbat.
Sabja seeds also known as Tukmaria or tukhaum malanga in Persian are sweet basil seeds. This Rose Sabja drink or Rose Basil seeds lemonade is popular cooling drink is popular in Persian homes and Indian and Indian to serve in hot summer months. Of course with slight variation.
Growing up in India in 70s and 80s we hardly remember there was any sugary sodas or aerated drinks. We grew up drinking sharbat or Shikanji and yes there was rose milk every night 🙂 .
Those of you who are not aware of Sharbat, it's homemade beverage which essentially had sweet syrup, some lemon juice and a flavour. Usually the syrup is already flavoured, Rose, mango, leychee, saffron (kesar) were few of popular ones.
Persian Tukmaria Sharbat - Tokhm e Sharbati
I have read similar references from Irani Persian cuisine. In fact the word Sharbat has originated in Iran. A similar Persian Sharbat is known as Tokhm e Sharbati. The only difference being, Instead of rose syrup which gives it a vibrant pink colour, for making Tokhme sharbati they use sugar syrup and rose water (rose extract).
Indian Gond Katira Rose and Sabja Sharbat
But I am making this Indian version of Rose Sabja drink that also has Gond Katira /tragacanth gum. As per Ayurveda Gond katira is known for it's cooling and immunity boosting properties.
So this Drink which my Mom makes for summer has a lot of health benefits as well as cooling properties. You can read more about healthy and immunity boosting properties in this Recipe of Basil seeds lemonade.
I had already shared easy summer drink Basil seeds lemonade for a hot day. You all know how unbearable these hot summer months! And, having plenty of fluids is a must for hydration during a heatwave.
So I try to have some non-aerated, natural homemade cool drinks in stock in our fridge. This rose lemonade is always there. It’s easy peasy and simple to make and you can make it in 2 minutes if you have these two cooling ingredients ready.
Ingredients You Need
Basil seeds also known as Sabja or Tukumaria you can find it easily online or in Indian store.
Gond Katira also known as Tragacanth gum
Rose syrup: You can use homemade, or you can find it easily online or in Indian store.
Lemon Juice or Lime Juice
Basil seeds have a cooling effect and have lots of healthy medicinal properties. Basil seeds also known as tukumaria, falooda or sweet basil seeds are used in sherbets and Indian desserts. These are known to beat the summer heat and cool down body heat.
Are Basil Seeds or Sabja or Tulmaria Different From Chia Seeds?
Yes! basil seeds or sabja is different from Chia seeds. They both swell up on soaking but taste different . Nutritionally both have almost similar nutrition profile. Compared to basil seeds The chia seeds have more omega-3 fats whereas Basil seeds have more fiber per same weight.
Also chia seeds take time to soak, basil seeds soak pretty quickly and are more plump.
How to Use Sweet Basil seeds for drink?
To use basil seeds first wash them and soak them for 15-20 minutes. After soaking basil seeds become gelatinous, these help in keeping good digestive system. You can use sweet basil seeds in many drink recipes like juices, lemonade, coconut water.
Recipe Notes and tips
- Make sure to clean the sabji seeds for any small stones or debris.
- Allow them to bloom before adding in any recipe.
- Gond katira or tragacanth gum takes time to soak and fully bloom. It is better to soak it overnight in the fridge that way you can use it anytime when you want to use it.
- Soaked Gond katira stays good in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Basil leaves can be substituted for mint leaves if you wish so.
- You can use ice cubes or just use chilled water or regular water both are fine.
- You can make drink with out basil seeds or Tragacanth gum it is delicious that way too.
- You can substitute basil seeds with Chia seeds the texture is similar but the cooling properties and health benefits of basil seeds and chia seeds are different.
Summer time are months to enjoy large pitchers of healthy drinks that taste delicious are refreshing! Today I am sharing with you this homemade summer drink that is easy to make and has healthy ingredients to make you enjoy them guilt-free.
And in case you are still in doubt, this is still most popular no alcoholic welcome drink in India and a perfect summer drink for kids.
More Summer Drinks to Chill Down with
APPLE ICED TEA
HIBISCUS ICED TEA
Sweet Basil Lemonade
Cafe Style Frothy Cold Coffee
Cold Coffee Ice cream Shake
Rose Basil Lemonade
- 1 tablespoon Tragacanth gum Gond katira
- 1 teaspoon basil seeds sabji
- 2 tablespoon Rose syrup
- 2 tablespoon lime juice nimbu
- 1 lime sliced
- 15 sweet basil leaves
- Soak gond katira in plain water for 2-3 hours or overnight. When it fluffs upkeep it aside. Best way to eat Gond katira is to soak it overnight in the fridge in more quantity and keep it there.
- Soak basil seeds or sabja for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes the puff up to form a gelatinous structure.
- Next in a jar add 4-5 tablespoon of soaked Gond katira, 3-4 tablespoon of soaked sabja/basil seeds and rose syrup.
- Add in lime juice, basil leaves and sliced limes.
- Next, add 2 glasses of chilled water to the jar and stir everything well.
- You can add few ice cubes if you desire that and serve this rose lemonade drink or Roast basil seeds lemonade to cool down this summer.
- Rose lemonade is a healthy homemade drink for summer. A refreshing and easy summer drink to provide hydration during the heatwave this is easily one of the most refreshing Indian summer drink to stay cool.
Leave me your feedback here please