Soft as cloud Scallion garlic and Cheese bread that is fluffy and full of flavour. The flavour comes from fresh scallions/green onions and garlic. The garlic pull-apart bread with a layer of cheese and scallions is soft and brushed with some more garlic butter. Are You with me?
If you need a snack or a teatime bread that is fancy enough, this scallion bread is super easy no-fail bread recipe ever. You can think this as a milk bread which packs more flavours.
Incredibly easy to make, this scallion garlic and cheese bread is the perfect way to use fresh scallions we are getting this season. In place of scallions, you can even use chives if you like more of flavour from chieves.
I came across this recipe years ago on the internet. Since then I have been making it from almost 8-9 years ( sorry I really do not have the link now ). I have made many variations of this but this soft garlic and scallion bread with cheese is always loved more in my home so this is going to stay here.
Making Eggless Scallion Garlic and Cheese Bread
Eggs are used in this bread recipe, many of you asked on Instagram for egg free bread recipe. I have not tried that yet, but I guess like other bread recipes it is safe to omit the egg. The texture will be slightly different though.
So next time you are in the mood for a savoury snack or bread for dinner, give this scallion, garlic and cheese bread a try!
To make Scallion bread, start by taking a mixing bowl and add flour, castor sugar in it. Then add active yeast, salt, and butter in it.
After that mix all the ingredients well and crack an egg in the bowl. Mix well and when the texture becomes crumbly, add milk in the bowl.
Now, apply some oil in hands and mix the dough. Cover the dough with a cloth and rest for 30 mins or until it doubles in size.
After that, take a small bowl and add butter, scallion and black pepper in it.
After that, add garlic paste and mix the paste well.
Now, take out the dough on a flat wooden board. Prior to placing the dough on it, spread some flour on the wooden board so that the dough doesn’t stick to it.
Now, with the fingers press the dough inwardly and then fold it 2-3 times. With a rolling pin give the dough a rectangular shape.
When the dough is in the desired rectangular shape, use a knife and cut the dough in two equal parts.
Add scallion paste on one side of the dough and cover it with the other side of the dough. Spread some cheese on top of the dough.
Now, roll the dough like this.
Cut it into parts and shape them into balls. Keep them aside.
Take a baking tray and cover the bottom of the baking tray with scallion paste and put the scallion balls on top of it.
Wrap it in plastic and keep it aside for some time. After 10-12 minutes take out the plastic and brush some scallion paste on the bread.
Top the balls with some chopped scallions, cheese, and some butter-scallion paste. Bake at 180*c for 18 minutes. After 18 minutes, take the baking tray out and serve the scallion bread hot.
Subscribe to my whatsapp broadcast by sending whatsapp message "SUBSCRIBE" to +91-8368756817 for latest updates on new recipes, videos and other food related info.
- 180 g plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 4 g Instant dried yeast
- 100 ml Warm milk
- 1 Egg
- 15 g Soften butter
For stuffing and topping
- 15 g Softened salted butter
- 2 tablespoon Scallions / green onions sliced into small size
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste
- black pepper
- 50 gm Mozzarella cheese
- 50 gm Cheddar cheese
- 2-3 tablespoon scallion
- Mix the ingredients given under bread dough section and make a soft dough. The dough is slightly wet initially and then after rising, it becomes slightly easy to handle. I suggest watching the video if you are a beginner in baking.
- After kneading bread dough keep it for rising for 30-40 minutes in a warm place or until double in size.
- Mix together softened butter, scallions black pepper and garlic paste and keep it aside.
- When bread dough is doubled punch it on a floured surface and roll it into ¾ inch thickness.
- Brush it with butter and scallion mix and spread ¾ of both mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese on it. Fold the bread from the middle as shown in the video.
- Roll it and cut into 6/7 pieces.
- Brush a quiche pan with some butter and arrange these on the pan.
- Top it with remaining scallions and cheese and cover.
- Keep this again in a warm place for 20-30 minutes till it is doubled.
- Bake in an oven which is preheated at 180C for 20 minutes.
- Serve it warm.