Tandoori prawns recipe, an easy appetizer for your party, or a healthy and protein rich Indian meal. If you love shrimps or prawns, this prawn recipe is ready within minutes. Make this You can make this Indian Tandoori Prawns in oven, air fryer or over stove top.
Best of all, these smoky and juicy prawns satisfy the cravings of a tandoori dish within minutes and in a much healthier way, owing to the various nutritious benefits of prawns.
In my last post I shared the recipe for butter prawns a quintessential butter chicken style Punjabi dish made with ITC Master Chef frozen prawns which so many of you loved. That inspired me to create yet another Indian prawn dish that you, as well as the boys at home, would totally love.
You all know how North Indians love their tandoori food, be it a tandoori chicken or tandoori paneer. So just like my previous recipe of Prawn Makhani, I am sharing another North Indian recipe with prawns.
Tandoori prawns are super easy to make and are a healthy alternative to your tandoori chicken. This can easily be your best tandoori prawn recipe with my homemade tandoori masala . The recipe for which is long overdue for sharing 🙂
Why making tandoori prawns with Frozen prawns is Easy
As I have mentioned previously too, using the fresh prawns is slightly cumbersome for me, mainly because cleaning and getting them prepped for cooking is a tedious process. So I mostly avoided cooking them at home for quite some time. Moreover I was never sure of Freshness of fresh prawns. As transportation and storage of fresh meats comes with its own challenge.
With ITC Master Chef frozen prawns I get an assurance of getting prawns that are hygienically frozen and transported ensuring that the prawns are safe when they reach consumers.
As far as cooking is concerned, all it needs is 20 minutes to make (other than the 15-20 mins for thawing prawns). So it is perfect to cook if you are a 20 minute meal freak like I am. BTW Have you checked my 20 Minute meal series yet?
How to Make Tandoori Prawns
Tandoori prawns is a popular Indian snack dish that we usually eat outside of our homes owing to the complications we associate with cooking regular prawns. Let me change your mindset towards cooking with prawns via my recipe.
My husband first tried these during one of his professional assignments in which he was stationed for almost a month along the coast line somewhere near Mumbai.
There was always a fresh sea food catch to enjoy and in their unit, the cook who went from Delhi would make North Indian favorites with sea food. Prawns being my husband’s favorite, the cook would indulge him with prawn dishes most of the days.
So when they were back from that activation, along with my husband came so many Indian sea food recipes which the cook dutifully noted and sent for me.
This one with using simple Indian spices (tandoori masala) and my trusted ITC Master Chef prawns. This easy prawn snack recipe is ideal for get-togethers, pot lucks or dinner parties. If you love prawns, do give this easy prawn recipe a try for your next party.
Make this Tandoori Prawn Recipe on a Grill or Bake in the Oven
These perfectly marinated grilled tandoori prawn skewers, bursting with amazing flavors, can easily be one of most loved party appetizer recipes. It requires very less effort.
You can grill or bake them in the oven or make them over a stove top grill plate. This prawn recipe is easy to make any which way.
Personally, when cooking anything tandoori, cooking it on a fire is the best choice. Since most of us do not have a traditional tandoor at home, an electric tandoor also works great if you have that.
If like me, you also don’t want to complicate with too many pieces of equipment, simply use a grill plate over a stove top like I did. Any which way, these tandoori prawns will always leave you craving for more.
Types of Prawns and their Uses
As I said I love using ITC Master Chef Prawns in my Prawn recipes. I am going to talk about which type of prawns I use for different recipes.
ITC Master Chef Medium Prawns - These medium prawns are best suited for gravy based dishes or sautéd dishes like a Goan prawn curry or a prawn fried rice.
ITC Master Chef Large Prawns - You can use large prawns for stir fries, gravy dishes, Thai prawn curry, croquettes, patties etc.
ITC Master Chef Super Large Prawns - Can be used for making cocktail shrimps/prawns or any starters. These hold their shape nicely so you can use them in barbecue dishes as well.
ITC Master Chef Jumbo+ Prawns - These largest size prawns are great for dry preparations. I used them to make this tandoori prawn dish. These are perfect for such type of recipes.
Health Benefits of Prawns
Prawns are one of the most healthy sea food options to include in your diet. High on protein and low in carbs, they are a source of good fats. For example about 100g of prawns have almost 20g of protein and 1.5g of carbohydrates.
Prawns are rich in Omega fatty acids. Other than that, prawns are rich in minerals and are a great source of Vitamins A, D and E as well as B1, B2 and B3.
There are many recipes and recipe ideas for cooking all these types of prawns. You can check these delicious recipe in cook books that I shot for ITC master Chef prawns.
Tandoori Prawn Recipe
- 300 grams ITC Master Chef Jumbo prawns 1 Pack (300 grams)
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 3-4 skewers
- 1 teaspoon Chaat masala
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves
- 3 tablespoon curd/yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Salt to taste
How to Thaw Frozen Prawns
- First defrost prawns by either keeping them in water at room temperature water for 30 minutes or transfer the frozen prawns in the fridge compartment from the freezer. This will also thaw the prawns for using them the next day.
- Next, add and mix all ingredients listed above in a big bowl and add thawed prawns in that bowl. Keep them in the marinade for 10 minutes if you are in hurry. However If you have time, keeping these marinated prawns for longer than hour would make tandoori prawns even tastier.
- After that skew these prawns on to skewers and cook them using any of the above mentioned methods. You can use an oven or grill on a stove top as per your choice. Both processes are explained below:
Tandoori Prawns in an Oven
- Preheat the oven at 200C.
- Brush marinated prawns with oil and grill for 10 Minutes. Actual time may vary from 9-12 minutes depending on the size of prawns you are using.
- Brush them with melted butter after cooking for that extra flavor if you like that, or serve them hot as it is.
Tandoori Prawn Recipe- Stove top Method
- If you do not want to use an oven, simply make them over stove top.
- Heat a grill pan brush it with oil. When it is hot, place marinated prawn skewers and grill on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Then increase the heat and allow them to cook till they are slightly charred for that smoky flavour.
- Once done, sprinkle some chaat masala and serve them with sauce/chutney of your choice.