Aloo matar, Alu matar or Aloo mutter, call it by any name but this simple and easy peas and potato curry is flavourful and hearty. This can easily be best Indian Potato and peas curry that you can even make for weeknight dinners.
Best things is you can make it in 20 minutes, if you are a meal prepper like me or in 30 minutes from scratch. In pressure cooker or Instant pot, this aloo matar recipe is totally a fuss-free Indian curry recipe. Even a beginner can make it very easily. It is all, vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free curry recipe.
Convinced? So Let's see How to make this super delicious Potato and peas dish.
How to Make Aloo Matar
Potatoes and peas are cooked in spicy onion tomato masala gravy and spices. You can make it in traditional pressure cooker or instant pot. Traditionally my Mom has always made this in pressure cooker but ever since I got instant pot I use mostly that.
Either ways it is very simple and easy curry recipe to make.
Ingredients For Aloo Matar Curry
Winter peas and potatoes are the best for any peas and potato recipe. Packed with flavours and sweetness I make this with fresh peas. But in summers when we are craving this frozen peas work great too.
Vegetables - onion, tomatoes, potatoes, peas, ginger roots, coriander.
Spices - You need basic spices like turmeric, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, whole cumin.
Oil/Fat - Any neutral vegetable oil works good, I prefer to use ghee for making this. As it is a great healthy fat and it tastes best. You can buy ghee from market but homemade is best!
Watch Video to Learn it step by Step
How to Serve Aloo Matar
The curry is so simple and hearty that you can serve aloo matar with any thing. Indian Flatbreads like Naan, chapati, Paratha are great for serving with it. Or Serve it with Rice and Raita for a hearty and healthy gluten-free meal.
Meal Prep for The Aloo Matar Sabji
- You can keep peeled and chopped potatoes in Fridge in the water. If you are planning to use in next 2-3 days you can store it in the fridge.
- One can either keep the bhuna masala in the fridge and just add bhuna masala paste, potatoes and peas and cook them for 2 Whistles.
- You can use fresh peas or like me use frozen peas. I use frozen peas that my Mom freezes for both us sisters.
- If you are not using bhuna masala, you can keep chopped onion, ginger etc in the fridge in an airtight container and use as required.
Recipe Notes and Tips
If you are planning to serve Aloo Matar sabji with Rice, Add ½ cup more water as consistency of gravy is slightly thin when you serve it with rice.
If you decide to serve it with Naan, chapati or paratha, thicker consistency of gravy works best for that.
How to Freeze Aloo Matar
If you do not have time for meal prep and straight away want to cook meals for the week. You can freeze this Matar aloo and make a freezer meal. Leave your curry little underdone, and store it in microwave safe dish.
When you reheat the aloo matar curry you can save both time and effort. Reheating completes the rest of cooking and you don't have to use too many dishes if you store it directly in the microwave safe dish.
Other Easy Curry Recipes You May Try
Aloo Tamatar sabji
Aloo Matar | Aloo Matar ki Sabji Curry Recipe
- 2 Cup potato Aloo
- 1 cup Peas Matar
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 Tbsp mango pickle
- 1 cup tomato Tamatar
- ½ cup onion Pyaz
- ½ teaspoon turmeric Haldi
- ½ teaspoon chili powder Lal Mirch
- ½ teaspoon salt Namak
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil Tel
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds Jeera
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker or thick bottomed pan and add cumin seeds.After one minute or so when cumin seeds start spluttering, add chopped onion and saute for 4-5 minutes till onion become light brown in colour.
- When onion are cooked add chopped tomatoes,turmeric, red chiili powder and cook till they are mashed .Now add 3-4 tablespoon of water and cook the masala for 5 minutes or till it stops sticking to bottom.
- Now add potatoes/Aloo and shelled peas/Matar, cook for 5 more minutes and add powder and mix them with the help of a ladle. Add chopped mango pickle.
- Add one cups of water and cook Aloo matar till two whistles if you are cooking in a pressure cooker or if you are cooking in normal pan cook it covered till potatoes are well cooked and tender generally that will take about 20-25 minutes on slow heat.
- If I am serving Aloo matar with rice I prefer this texture and when I am planning to serve it with poori parantha I mash 7-8 cubes of potatoes with the help of ladle and cook for 2-3 more minutes to make a thicker gravy.