Apple kheer is delicious Indian dessert made with apples and milk. In recipe of I improvised the traditional apple kheer by adding a thandai spice which adds a delicious nutty taste and rose petals add exotic touch as well as delicate touch.
Kheer is essentially an Indian sweet which is nothing but thickened milk flavoured with traditional flavours like cardamom, saffron, or thus etc. To add the texture you can also add dry fruits and nuts which make the kheer even more rich. I distinctly remember that when someone from native village used to come and visit our home in the town this was convenient way to bring something homemade and pure 🙂 ( It really amazes me how Food is such a great way to show love especially in our Indian families and extended families)
This year I decided to post more and more traditional dishes that have been a part while we were growing up. The only thing I will try to cook the healthy version of it especially so when it’s dessert. This apple Kheer is also my attempt to cook healthy though I can’t say this is my original recipe. This one too I learned from a senior lady in IAF who was popular for her delicious desserts.
We kids used to enjoy the rich and creamy taste of the goodness of milk without even a care for word calorie, in fact, I really don’t remember that we have had heard the word other than in our physics class :D. Those times really seems so unreal when I see today’s kids who are always worried by calories in their food. We the children of 70s and 80s were more carefree because exercise in the form of everyday activities like outdoor games, cycling to school and so many other physical activities were enough to take care of health and calorie intake and output.
Coming back to Apple Kheer recipe, the apples are rich in pectin (a compound which is responsible for gel-like formation in jams etc) so when we cook it with milk it helps to thicken it so there is no need to condense the milk as done in plain milk Kheer. So the addition of apple not only makes Apple Kheer a healthy version because it has fruits, it makes it much more quick to cook as compared to traditional Kheer.
If you cook this recipe and find it helpful please do share it on facebook, twitter or pin it on Pinterest this may help others too and keeps me motivated to write more.
Apple Kheer | Seb ki kheerPrint Pin Rate
- 1 250 g apple Large peeled and grated about
- 400 ml milk Whole
- 50 ml condensed milk
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 1 Tablespoons fennel seeds (saunf)
- 4 - 5 cardamom (elaichi)
- 20 white peppercorns Whole (kalimirch)
- 1/2 Tablespoons Rose Petals
- 2 tablespoons Melon seeds ( kharbooze ke beej )
- Soak 3/4th the quantity of thandai spices for 1-2 hours and keep 1/4th aside. Make a paste of soaked spices and keep it aside.
- In a thick bottomed pan, pour milk and let it boil and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Now add grated apples and sugar and let the milk further reduce to half.
- Add condensed milk and thandai spiced paste to it. Cook for 2 more minutes and switch of the heat.
- Now ladle out this kheer in small earthern clay bowls ( for the best taste) and if you don't have them use your normal pudding bowls and chill it in refrigerator for 30 minutes and serve it topped with small portion of 1/4 th of dry thandai spices we saved. One of the best desserts in summers.