Lobia curry, a simple and spicy Punjabi style recipe in onion and tomato masala gravy. A delicious lobia recipe made with lobia or black-eyed beans curry tastes best with chapati or rice both. If you are looking for a simple, vegan and gluten-free curry recipe, this tastes incredibly delicious with rice.
This is basically a Punjabi style lobia masala curry recipe. Lobia is also known as chawli in Maharashtra and cowpeas in English. Lobia or Rongi is a bean which is a good source of protein. So for the days when we are not eating eggs etc, we depend on the vegetarian source of protein. Beans are a great source of vegetarian protein. A ½ cup of cooked black-eyed peas or lobia contains 6.7 g of protein.
I cook lobia curry pretty much similar way as I cook rajma or kala chana. But sometimes I like to add ½ teaspoon of chana masala which lifts the flavor even more. Also, you can make lobia curry in 20 minutes if you meal prep beforehand and make bhuna masala paste. All it takes is
To add Variations to Simple Lobia Curry
- You can add paneer cubes in the lobia. Not only it adds texture and taste but increases the overall protein content of the curry.
- You can make one more variation of lobia curry by adding Amritsari wadi (spicy dried lentil dumplings). It enhances the taste manifolds.
Lobia Curry - CowPeas Curry Recipe
- 2 Cups lobia beans soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- ½ cup onion paste
- 1 cup tomato puree fresh
- ¼ cup tomato puree from the pack
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp chana Masala
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 inch ginger
- 2-3 leaves Tbsp Coriander chopped
- 2-3 cups Steamed Rice to serve
- Wash and soak lobia beans for 4-6 hours. Discard water and cook kidney beans/Rajma with 3 cups of water and ½tsp of salt in a pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles or you can use canned red kidney beans If you are in a hurry.
- Heat oil in a thick pan, cook onion paste in oil till it is light brown in color.
- Add tomato puree and also turmeric powder, red chilli powder and little bit of salt if required.
- Cook the masala paste over medium heat for 6-7 minutes till it starts to leave the sides of pan.
- Immediately add cooked lobia beans along the liquid and mix it well with masala paste, add chana masala and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve it over a bed of steamed basmati rice/chawal for a perfect curry ricel meal.